Why become a member? ×

piezo through the PA and mag for monitoring

fatback

I'm wondering whether to expect interference problems if I put a Full Circle through the PA but monitor from the Kent Armstrong.

Will the KA stage sound acting on the bass body cause interference with the Full Circle and cause nasty effects for the FOH? I've not seen such a prob mentioned anywhere, and if it's not a problem then it's maybe my future solution for the bigger gigs - monitor with mag for no feedback while good foh from the Full Circle.

There's got to be a flaw here somewhere. :)

Erm.No, can`t think of one really..
Your Piezo will be picking up stage noise anyway, and monitors etc, you might want to be able to play around with the phase onstage in case there`s any cancellation with what FOH is doing.
Not having done this I can`t really say but, won`t your playing suit the Mag pickups responses more than the piezo?
Do you play differently when the Piezo is your onstage sound(apart from hiding behind the singer to avoid low end feedback)?
What signal would FOH send back to monitors,if any?
IE maybe worth taking the MAG to FOH anyway so it can be delivered to the drummer etc, or (shock horror) blend it in out front also.
Worth experimenting.
Please let us know how you got on, it`s a good`un.

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1258680' date='Jun 6 2011, 05:51 PM']IE maybe worth taking the MAG to FOH anyway so it can be delivered to the drummer etc, or (shock horror) blend it in out front also.[/quote]

+1, if you trust him/her, give the sound guy as many options as you can. In our set, the mag PUP sounds great on some track whilst the piezo sounds way better on others. Given that we don't have the luxury of a soundguy most of the time, I used to spend a lot of time dicking about with this. I then starting using 2-channel Baggs preamp to blend the two, but have given up and am using the mag PUP most of the time now and altering my playing style accordingly.

C

I was thinking of not having any onstage monitoring of bass from the desk at all and just relying on the mag direct to my backline.

I can certainly send both to foh though.

My worry was mainly possible cancellation effects, but I've got a fully variable phase shift on the EA Doubler, so maybe that will take care of that?

If it works out ok, it could be a good solution for folks not wanting a mag sound out front but worried about feedback from backline monitoring.

Mostly it won't be an issue because we wouldn't often have a full PA, but I'd like a strategy for when we do.

Well I think it`s a great idea and the Mag coming back to stage idea was for the other members of the band rather than you.
The phase manipulation will be dead useful too.
I`m presuming any treatment of the Piezo will be left to the FOH engineer?
I`ve sort of used this idea on other instruments where I needed different treatment for different members of the band.
Basically I split for instance the bass D.I into two chans and dedicate one for the band and one for the bassist. This way the band can have a cleaner sharper EQ and a good bit of compression chosen by me, and the bassist gets to hear it like [i]he[/i] specifically wants without my compression.
Used this on metal drummer kiks, deaf vocalists who need loads of midrange,etc
So, this takes that technique a step further with diff pickups for different jobs.
I like.
Would love to hear how it works out.
MM