Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Request for a pic of a jazz bass (black + torty + cream)

thedarxide

Hi, I'm new here :)

I've got a Columbus Jazz bass in the post, which is completely black, which is nice as it matches the fretless neck, but I think I'll find it a bit boring. I have got a spare white scratchplate, but when I was nosing around on here I came across a shot of a jazz with a torty scratchplate and cream pups, which I'd love to see again if anyone knows what I'm talking about!! Axes R Us do a cheap set of cream pickups, and if this is like the other three columbus' I've owned, they'll be better that whats currently in it.

Could be my Tokai Jazz Sound? Either way, I don't need much of an excuse to post pics of my baby up again :)

Dimarzio pups, possibly factory-fitted, early 80's. It's a Bravewood scratchplate, unnecessarily expensive, but looks the business.

Pluck

Edited by sgt-pluck

That's the one!! You rock, thank you! I've no idea which thread I saw it in but I should have bookmarked it.... Cream pickups never occured to me, but they certainly brighten up what is otherwise a dark looking bass, and I didn't want to put a lurid green scratchplate on it or something... :)

[quote name='paul, the' post='144535' date='Feb 21 2008, 05:24 PM']pluck, did the jazz sounds come with non-jazz ultra pups as standard?[/quote]

As far as I can make out (and this isn't gospel), there were a few special editions of Tokai's with Dimarzio's fitted, and I [i]think [/i]mine was one of them, although I don't think my pups are ultra's. Could be wrong though. I've had my bass apart when I first got it to restore it - and me and my old man reckoned the pups/wiring looked factory. I know that Tokai had a deal going on with Dimarzio during the early 80's, and I've also found a copy of Guitarist Magazine from the 80's which reviews a fretless Jazz Sound which came with Dim's (I think! Might have been EMG's) from the factory, so it wasn't unheard of for Tokai to release 'specials'.

Pluck

Edited by sgt-pluck

[quote name='Ant' post='145945' date='Feb 24 2008, 12:00 PM']i cant see the pole pieces clearly enough, but dont model J's have the little dimples in the top, like allen key holes.[/quote]

Yeah it's not clear in the pics - mine do, they are adjustable pole-pieces with an allen key. When I bought the bass the pole-pieces were rusted to bits, and when I discovered that the pups were old Dimarzio's - I contacted Dimarzio in America and they found and sent me some replacements totally free! Was very impressed with them.