Why become a member? ×

Putting a Boss pedal in a rack enclosure

Rumple

Before I speak to my mate who is a dab hand at electronics and make a fool of myself, is it easy to say put the guts of a CS3 into a 1U rack enclosure?

To explain a bit more I like the idea of having a pedal in a rack as it's cheap, simple to operate, I know what it will sound like and I can have the intrument level in and the outs on the front of the unit rather then round the back as it usually is on a rack compressor, oh and no annoying flashing lights.

Cheers

R.

Thanks for the replies.

I do realise it's a bit of an odd idea :)

I did loads of research yesterday into rack compressors then thought to myself all I need is a pedal I know well but it would be handly to have it in the space in the rack, nice and neat, all wired up, can't forget to pack it and nothing to trip over.

Maybe I need to drink less coffee :)

[quote name='Rumple' post='1251410' date='May 31 2011, 01:10 PM']Maybe I need to drink less coffee :)[/quote]
Maybe.

On the other hand, sometimes you don't know how good an idea is until you try it. And I'm sure the pedal could be put back together if required.

There are some minor issues that you (or your friend) would need to resolve.

After removing the pedal from it's casing you might find that the controls are directly mounted onto the PCB. You'd have to remove these and then re-attach them with flying leads so that they could be connected to the front of the rack unit. Likewise the input/outputs and also the on/off switch.

It might be necessary to replace the controls and switch with other components more suitable for mounting onto a rack panel (certainly the on/off switch on a Boss pedal might not work too well on a rack).

It would make sense to include a power supply for the pedal and also mount this is the rack. Here you'd need to be careful that you don't create interference - the metal body of a pedal will often act as a shield for the internal components so without that shield you might pick up noise. Likewise the flying leads from PCB to controls/jacks could potentially cause problems. Any such problems should be simple to resolve using standard electrical screening techniques.

But in principle it's what people like Pete Cornish do to custom create pedal boards so putting it into a rack unit rather than a board is no different.

Thanks BOD2, I did wonder about the pots etc. being attached to the PCB and making the job trickier then I imagined.

I hadn't thought about interference at all - good point to remember.

Pete Cornish did cross my mind when this idea came to me.

Cheers

R.