Why become a member? ×

Squier ProTone

Jono Bolton

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Squier-ProTone-V-5-String-Precision-Bass-Korean_W0QQitemZ150218010790QQihZ005QQcategoryZ38079QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122"]This[/url] has been on ebay a few times from the same seller, either he has a few or it just doesn't sell. I think it's the latter. Anyway, assuming I bid on this and no one else does, I'd get it for £163-ish and then another £50 for shipping. What sort of customs charge would I get? I bought a Seymour Duncan Jazz pickup for about £33 last year and had to pay £5 for customs, but Royal Mail chucked another [b]£8[/b](!) on for handling.
Anyway, has anyone tried one? It looks sexy, and I fancy a nice 5 string. Would I be better off getting a 2nd hand Mexican 5 string for similar money (or possibly less)?

[quote name='jono b' post='143944' date='Feb 20 2008, 07:40 PM']Really? I'm looking at about £260ish all together then. Just need to find out if it's worth it now or not![/quote]

There's a complex calculation detailed [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=139&view=findpost&p=924"]here on the Importing basses thread[/url] if you want a more accurate assessment.

A friend has another of the Squier Pbass body 5 strings with active jazz pickups and it's a mighty fine bass. I think it was about £250 new (but no longer made) so I think you'd have your money's worth. That one looks fabbo.

Oh hang on.. auction ended no bids ?

Why don't you email him an offer ...

Edited by OldGit

I'm not sure if this is still going on as it's off ebay now but ...

Saw my mates's Squire P Pro-tone last night and had a chat with him about it, though, sadly, I didn't get to have a go.

He has a couple of custom Statuses and two Squier P shaped 5's..
I was confusing it with the other before (active 5 string P bass with Jazz pups)
He says the Protone is the dogs, much better that the other Squier and was £450 new a few years ago. They are rare in this country.
Working on that basis if you can get this one for less than £250 all in it's got to be worth it.