Why become a member? ×

***SOLD*** Pedal Junction Custom AB/ABY Box

For sale is this Pedal Junction AB/ABY Custom Box made for Tayste and that I bought from him a while ago.

Basically its a box that has 2 inputs that you can switch between and 2 outputs you can switch between or have both on at the same time. It als0 has an fx loop between them.
It has 4 jacks on the top (Input/Output) and 2 on the side for the fx loop.

See photos and it will all make more sense.

It's a very useful tool and very well built. Ideal for Bi-amp systems or amps with two channels so you can combine them, I used it with my Mesa 400+ and it was great having so many options.

£55 delivered or collection from Hove welcome too.

Edited by PauBass

[quote name='PauBass' post='1242669' date='May 24 2011, 10:03 AM']Sorry, what do you mean?[/quote]
It's so when you split the signal in the Y position you don't get line loss (caused by, in the most basic of terms, half the signal going one way and half the other) and also it provides a separate earth so you can send the signal into two different amps.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1242687' date='May 24 2011, 10:22 AM']It's so when you split the signal in the Y position you don't get line loss (caused by, in the most basic of terms, half the signal going one way and half the other) and also it provides a separate earth so you can send the signal into two different amps.[/quote]

Thanks for the info.

I have just sent a PM to Tayste asking him about it.
I can tell you when I used it I didn't notice any loss and yes, the signal can be sent to to different amps with no problems.
I'll get back to you as soon as I've heard from Tayste.

It's unbuffered and it's a passive circuit, the only power requirements are for the leds

Point taken on your concerns but you shouldn't experience any of those problems with this unit, I used it with a multitude of amps and DI's and a crazy combination of fx and never had an issue. It's never had any grounding or phasing issues though of course ymmv.

Additionally a buffered version while probably being around 5 times more expensive would likely have more issues. You'd need at least 2 Boss LS-2's to achieve this and its still wouldn't do the same thing or sound as good.

The whole unit is point to point and true bypass.

Hope this helps

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='1242894' date='May 24 2011, 01:10 PM']It's unbuffered and it's a passive circuit, the only power requirements are for the leds

Point taken on your concerns but you shouldn't experience any of those problems with this unit, I used it with a multitude of amps and DI's and a crazy combination of fx and never had an issue. It's never had any grounding or phasing issues though of course ymmv.

Additionally a buffered version while probably being around 5 times more expensive would likely have more issues. You'd need at least 2 Boss LS-2's to achieve this and its still wouldn't do the same thing or sound as good.

The whole unit is point to point and true bypass.

Hope this helps[/quote]
I'm glad it sold, now I can speak freely. :)

With respect....

It's a simple fact of electronics that if you divide a straight unbuffered signal down two cables it will have less strength at the other end. Of course it will be less noticeable if you are sending the signal down a pair of short cables into an effects loop which may boost the signal anyway.

I had a simple passive ABY which worked flawlessly at home and some venues but occasionally in the field it gave me big problems (it's more down to the overall disparity in the venue's earthing than the quality of our gear) therefore it couldn't be relied upon.

There are true-bypass, buffered pedals by Morley, Radial etc. on the market that are nowhere near 5 times the price - £70-150 - and you could make one at home for a fraction of that. And again with respect, although I know what you are getting at, the bit about LS-2's is misleading.

I just thought I'd reply to this as I was hearing it like that guy in the advert "Free cake! ... They don't know that ... Free cake!" but were not allowed to say owt while it's an active FS thread. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1245486' date='May 26 2011, 12:41 PM']I'm glad it sold, now I can speak freely. :)

With respect....

It's a simple fact of electronics that if you divide a straight unbuffered signal down two cables it will have less strength at the other end. Of course it will be less noticeable if you are sending the signal down a pair of short cables into an effects loop which may boost the signal anyway.

I had a simple passive ABY which worked flawlessly at home and some venues but occasionally in the field it gave me big problems (it's more down to the overall disparity in the venue's earthing than the quality of our gear) therefore it couldn't be relied upon.

There are true-bypass, buffered pedals by Morley, Radial etc. on the market that are nowhere near 5 times the price - £70-150 - and you could make one at home for a fraction of that. And again with respect, although I know what you are getting at, the bit about LS-2's is misleading.

I just thought I'd reply to this as I was hearing it like that guy in the advert "Free cake! ... They don't know that ... Free cake!" but were not allowed to say owt while it's an active FS thread. :)[/quote]

Not to get into a debate about this, but this was custom built for me and I feel the urge to bring up the quality of the item in question, yes you are correct on the laws of physics in relation to the electronics. I can only speak from my experience with it I used this box for many years probably over 500 gigs (I had it for the entire time I used my 400+ live and then some time before that in a dual EA amp rig) and never had a problem. I have no reason to lie, I sold this ages ago, I'm not getting anything out of this and I know it's nots caused Paubass any issues either.

As far as I know there are no units on the the market that are an A/B/Fx Loop/A/B/Y Box, yes you can buy a Morley for £70 (I assume you're talking about a Quadbox which appears to be £90 everywhere, not even sure if it's buffered I know the basic ABY box isn't buffered) on top of this you also need an A/B box to allow you to switch between the inputs. That in a Morley unit would be the best part of a Pt Mini if not the whole bottom row of a Pt Jr.

When comparing it to other units I was thinking Lehle as Morley are crap. I didn't however consider Radial. But that aside lets compare.

To achieve this using a buffered pedal such as the Radial you need 2 Twin-City's thats around 280 (over 5 times the asking price and nearly 3 times the new price) quid from what I'm seeing and also gives you the issue of now being able to ABY the input into it. Also takes up more room and 2 power spots.

Using Lehle you need 2 Little Duals these range in price but lets call it £300 (again over 5 times the asking price here and still 3 times the new price on this unit) for the pair to be on the low side, again you can a/b/y the basses, you need to press 2 buttons to use the Y function and again 2 pedals, 2 power supplies etc etc.

Now Lehle buffers are flawless, stack a million of them in a line it's all good (basically this was the route I was taking just before I moved away from 2 channel amps), Radial pretty good but do I want 2 in my chain? all the time? what about ground loops when daisy chaining all these multi buffers etc.

Further more buffers are all well and good unless someone kicks the power cord out on your pedal board and bear in mind anyone buying this pedal will be a hardcore pedal user most likely using true bypass pedals, power goes off and you can still get sound out with the minimal of effort. Unlikely as it seems, it happens and when you have a setup with multiple amps and multiple pedal chains you want to have a quick way to bypass everything asap and carry on playing.

Is it possible to build a pedal like this at home, yeah sure same way you can build an amp or a bass or most fx on the market. Is it possible for me to build this at home, hell no that's why I buy things pre made things from people that know how to.

There are benefits to having a buffer don't get me wrong (unless you have a Morley) but that doesn't mean to say passive is instantly awful and unusable.

I stand by this pedal so much that if you have an issue with it I'll buy it back for whatever you paid Paubass (whom no offence, is not a friend, he's a guy I sold a pedal to a year ago who asked me some simple questions).

Hope this reassures whoever bought this and they haven't read the above post and suddenly panicked about their purchase

Hopefully /thread

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='1245635' date='May 26 2011, 02:22 PM']Not to get into a debate about this, but this was custom built for me and I feel the urge to bring up the quality of the item in question, yes you are correct on the laws of physics in relation to the electronics. I can only speak from my experience with it I used this box for many years probably over 500 gigs (I had it for the entire time I used my 400+ live and then some time before that in a dual EA amp rig) and never had a problem. I have no reason to lie, I sold this ages ago, I'm not getting anything out of this and I know it's nots caused Paubass any issues either.

As far as I know there are no units on the the market that are an A/B/Fx Loop/A/B/Y Box, yes you can buy a Morley for £70 (I assume you're talking about a Quadbox which appears to be £90 everywhere, not even sure if it's buffered I know the basic ABY box isn't buffered) on top of this you also need an A/B box to allow you to switch between the inputs. That in a Morley unit would be the best part of a Pt Mini if not the whole bottom row of a Pt Jr.

When comparing it to other units I was thinking Lehle as Morley are crap. I didn't however consider Radial. But that aside lets compare.

To achieve this using a buffered pedal such as the Radial you need 2 Twin-City's thats around 280 (over 5 times the asking price and nearly 3 times the new price) quid from what I'm seeing and also gives you the issue of now being able to ABY the input into it. Also takes up more room and 2 power spots.

Using Lehle you need 2 Little Duals these range in price but lets call it £300 (again over 5 times the asking price here and still 3 times the new price on this unit) for the pair to be on the low side, again you can a/b/y the basses, you need to press 2 buttons to use the Y function and again 2 pedals, 2 power supplies etc etc.

Now Lehle buffers are flawless, stack a million of them in a line it's all good (basically this was the route I was taking just before I moved away from 2 channel amps), Radial pretty good but do I want 2 in my chain? all the time? what about ground loops when daisy chaining all these multi buffers etc.

Further more buffers are all well and good unless someone kicks the power cord out on your pedal board and bear in mind anyone buying this pedal will be a hardcore pedal user most likely using true bypass pedals, power goes off and you can still get sound out with the minimal of effort. Unlikely as it seems, it happens and when you have a setup with multiple amps and multiple pedal chains you want to have a quick way to bypass everything asap and carry on playing.

Is it possible to build a pedal like this at home, yeah sure same way you can build an amp or a bass or most fx on the market. Is it possible for me to build this at home, hell no that's why I buy things pre made things from people that know how to.

There are benefits to having a buffer don't get me wrong (unless you have a Morley) but that doesn't mean to say passive is instantly awful and unusable.

I stand by this pedal so much that if you have an issue with it I'll buy it back for whatever you paid Paubass (whom no offence, is not a friend, he's a guy I sold a pedal to a year ago who asked me some simple questions).

Hope this reassures whoever bought this and they haven't read the above post and suddenly panicked about their purchase

Hopefully /thread[/quote]

Thanks Tayste.

I don't know about the technical side of things but I can also honestly confirm and assure this box is superb, it does what it's supposed to do and it does it very, very well.

I have used this box for a long time with a Mesa 400+ too in many, many gigs in many different venues and I've never had a problem. It has also been used with a two amp setup and again, no problems at all...I think it's a great bit of kit. Also used in studio and by my guitar player mate who's always mentioned what a great thing it was.

Edited by PauBass

Ain't I the bad guy. :)

My apologies to the buyer if I have "panicked" them. I have no reason to disbelieve that this bit of kit can and will do what these 2 great guys claim it can. My personal experience of a similar unit (a custom built box with switches, wires and no electronic components - bar a powered led) driving 2 amps prevents me from using a non-buffered version - hence my initial involvement in this thread.

I regret adding specific brand names to my earlier post as it clouded the issue.