Why become a member? ×

Modifying a Vintage Wraith bass

Batfastard

[quote name='Andyjr1515' post='1332167' date='Aug 8 2011, 01:57 PM']Hi
Hope you managed to sort your edges OK. I generally use Axesrus for hardware, screws etc, although they tend to be more biased towards 6 string guitars. Stuff like pickguard screws ect they definately have and there service is excellent.

Andy[/quote]
That's what happens when you try to type while bouncing about on a train in Sweden :) That should have read ...pickguard screws etc they definitely have and their... :)

Andyjr1515 this is how the layering of glue turned out. Not the best result but it works.

Waiting for some srews to be delivered the the neck, bridge and control cavity cover can go on and the pickups can be screwed down.

And the jack plate can be secured. Then the only thing left to will be string up and test.

Edited by Batfastard

Hi
V pleased you've finally got the miscreant to stick down :)

It looks very good to me - and it DOES look a bit like leather!

Ref the join - if you want to fill it, there are two ways I've found that works OK:
Do a coating of tru-oil and while it is still wet, give it a good sanding - won't do the sandpaper any good, but the mush will fill the gaps fairly well. Then, when dry, sand it down again back to the veneer. Do that whole thing again if needed.
OR - sand some scrap veneer to create a little pile of veneer dust. Add a little tru-oil to create a paste and use that, like decorators filler, to fill the gaps. Again, once dry, sand it down to smooth.

OR - leave it. I actually think the dips and drops in a wood finish sometimes adds to the fact it is a natural product.

Whatever you do about the filling, a number of thin coats of tru oil, sanded each time with v fine (1000 grit or higher) wet and dry used wet, will build to a high gloss finish that will bring all of the fabulous grain of the veneer and make it look FABULOUS!!
Really looking forward to seeing the finished product

Andy

[quote name='Batfastard' post='1334284' date='Aug 9 2011, 10:07 PM']Cheers mate. I think I'll leave the join as is for the mo. I can always fill it in at a later date. cheers for the advice. I can't wait to hear the Wizard Thumper and 84.[/quote]
Yes - sounds great to me. Once you get the neck, hardware and strings back on, you will be stunned how good this looks :)

Really pleased how this is turning out for you.

Andy

The last of the screws showed up and now its all together. It is a lot light than it was before I hacked it about but balances better. That could be down to repositioning the strap button from the back to the side at the top.
[IMG]http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac323/Bat_fastard/Bass%20gear/2011-08-10111954.jpg[/IMG]
But I have a short somewhere so no sound yet.
[url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=std_jazz_bass"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wirin...c=std_jazz_bass[/url]
This is the wiring diagram I followed and the capacitor is 0.1mF. Any suggestions would be apprciated.

Edited by Batfastard

Looks wicked!
Assuming you don't have a multimeter or continuity checker...if you are not getting any sound from either pickup, the problem is likely to be the other side of the two volume pots. Start with checking at the jack-end - is it a sealed one or can you see the contacts? If its the latter, take the plate off, push in the jack, make sure the jack is pressing against the spring steel hot contact and make sure the tip of the jack isn't touching the earth wire (especially when the wire is scrunched up back in its place).
If all is OK, check the wires fron the Jack to earth and the hot connection in the pot chamber. Check there are no hot wires touching any ground wires (again, particularly when they are scrunched up in place).

It's usually something simple and its usually the jack socket!

The isn't a short on the jack and no wires are touching. Have checked with a multimeter and can't find the source of the short. Will be diconnecting the thumper pickup later on because I know the 84 works.

Update: Have removed the thumper and now she lives. Just need to contact Wizard and sort out a new pickup.

Edited by Batfastard