Why become a member? ×

refinish problem

here the problem i got this bass body that was natural but someone stripped it using a heat gun now it has like a grainy patten but i would like to have the body flat

[attachment=80643:P220511_17.02__01_.jpg]

[attachment=80642:P220511_17.02.jpg]

[attachment=80646:P220511_17.03.jpg]

[attachment=80645:P220511_17.02__03_.jpg]

[attachment=80644:P220511_17.03__01_.jpg]

Edited by SidVicious1978

[quote name='brensabre79' post='1240678' date='May 22 2011, 07:06 PM']I think you'll need to strip it back to the wood with nitromors and layer up with some coats of either nitro or polyurethane. rub down between coats and you should eventually get a smooth finish back. Then you can either paint or leave it natural :)[/quote]

i got nitromors how would i layer up with some coats?

Sid

[quote name='SidVicious1978' post='1240687' date='May 22 2011, 07:17 PM']i got nitromors how would i layer up with some coats?

Sid[/quote]

Looks to me like it's been done without proper sealing and grain filling. You need to use a filler to plug the grain followed by sanding flat - you can't rely on the paint alone to flat out as it shrinks over time and would require an impossible thickness at some points.

There are people who would love that body in its current incarnation. Sell it and get a body you want. Otherwise, you will be spending a LOT of time getting the body flat, ready for painting. It's time consuming, and IMO a waste of money and effort for a bog standard P Bass body, which I'm assuming it is.

There's some really nice grain under there!

If your heart's set on keeping it and refinishing in a solid colour, I'd personally start by keying the existing surface with either a Scotchbrite pad or fine steel wool & then fill the grain with car body Knifing Stopper. Next, cut the stopper back with 240 grit wet 'n' dry, blow over it with 400 grit to smooth it a bit more & then respray.

Much as I like a nice caustic solvent, I'd avoid Nitromors in this instance as it'll just take you right back to square one. If the existing finish is sound it doesn't necessarily need stripping, so why create a load more work than you've already got?

Alternatively... sand it flat so that the existing black is trapped in the open grain areas & then clear coat it. However this could end up looking like a dog's breakfast if the previous owner has used a light-coloured primer coat... only one way to find out :)

Pete.

[quote name='SidVicious1978' post='1240894' date='May 22 2011, 09:50 PM']cheers guys it a 1970's fender bass body[/quote]
They do have a very open grain.
Here's what I did with a '78 body recently. I made the conscious decision to not fill the grain and make a feature of it.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1240955' date='May 22 2011, 10:24 PM']They do have a very open grain.
Here's what I did with a '78 body recently. I made the conscious decision to not fill the grain and make a feature of it.

[/quote]

WOW!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='SidVicious1978' post='1299566' date='Jul 11 2011, 07:30 AM']hey guys i give it some sand and sealer but the burn marks are still showing and i was hoping to spraying sunburst for that vintage fender look but would i have to spray blonde tint nitro to hide some of the dark burn marks then spray some amber and some on

Sidv[/quote]
It would probably be better to sand them out more.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1240955' date='May 22 2011, 10:24 PM']They do have a very open grain.

[/quote]

Sil and Outshined make good points - done well, this can be a fantastic feature. Perhaps sell the body on and reinvestment the monies in something more appropriate for your needs?