Why become a member? ×

Integrity - the way forward

Bilbo

Am I the only person in the world who is sick to death of covers, 'standards' and other people's stuff? I enjoy listening to other people's music but I am just getting increasingly frustrated at playing the same old stuff (again).

I have often contemplated an 'originals only' policy as a player, turning down any covers gigs, but am anxious that it would mean I would never play at all. Is the endless run of covers gigs better than less frequent but creatively more satisfying gigs? As a jazzer, this is particularly difficult as 'standards' form 95% of the material played. The money is part of it but no all of it by a long way.

So, the question is, has anyone every taken a purist line on their career and not lived to regret it?

With jazz, I think it depends partly on how far your fellow musical conspirators are willing to strive after creating something fresh. If you are just reading tunes out of the Real Book, head, noodling (aka "solos") and repeat the head to finish, it can get tired pretty quickly. However, even sticking largely to a single source like the Real Book, there is scope to be considerably more creative.

Do the groups you play jazz with have the flexibility to consider working on different arrangements of existing tunes and to gradually begin introducing more original elements?

Wulf

I think that, as a musician, not playing to the best of your ability compromises your integrity, not whether you play covers or originals. I get to play both sorts these days and find there are very few bad covers. Covers played badly is another subject, but, in my opinion, playing bad originals is the most tedious thing I have ever had to do.

i fought against playing covers for years but these days thats all i do - its quite good as the band are pretty good and we always go down well despite not playing the 'obvious' songs, but in a way i do feel like i've let myself down a bit as i never wanted to just be the bass player in a covers band. Vaguely looking around for some kind of original project but theres alot of poor quality bands out there and age isn't on my side (a ripe old 38!) Also computers are a godsend for writing/recording your own stuff - the only thing i need is motivation!!!

having said all that, theres currently talk of a van halen tribute band starting up locally who want me as the bassist - more covers but hopefully more money too!!!

peace

c

Hey Wulf!

I know all of the rhetoric about creativity in delivering jazz standards but it always feels like the arguments classical musicians use to discuss creativity when they are playing the same stuff that every other instrumentalist on their instrument has played for 4 or more centuries. Local jazz players in Suffolk are all a little stale and bored (look at the jazz listings for Suffolk - they are conservative and rarely reveal anything more radical than Stacy Kent!). Even the young guys are playing 70s jazz funk!

I agree re: computers as an outlet for creative ideas but its a shallow victory, isn't it? Playing great stuff in your bedroom to an audience of one! Its ok for a while but you need to play.

A great covers band is still a covers band. It can work on the night but its a poor second to the real deal!