Why become a member? ×

For Sale: Overwater 6-string fretless Progress III Deluxe - SOLD!

mattiesim

So I'm selling my Overwater, it pains me terribly but I just don't get the chance to use it as much as this gorgeous instrument deserves. It's a 6 string fretless Progress III deluxe, custom built and completed in 2009. I've gigged it maybe 10-15 times so it's still in near perfect condition. I had it made mainly for work on my Masters degree, but now that I'm no longer studying it simply doesn't get used and probably hasn't been touched for about 6 months!

The top wood is Brazilian Cocobolo with matching headstock, tone wood is a European Walnut with a maple veneer separating the two. Ebony fretboard with maple lines, and a 5-piece maple/walnut through-neck. Full over top on the Cocobolo which adds to the sustain. Locking jack AND xlr output for extended connectivity options. It has a stunning pre-amp with plenty of headroom with bass, mid and treble boost/cut knobs, pick-up blend and output volume with a push/pull bright switch. The clarity on the lower notes is incredible, and must be heard to be fully realised.

The bridge is the only part with some wear, the finish has rubbed off leaving a silver mark on a couple of the mechanisms. This however is only a minute point and purely cosmetic on what is otherwise a pristine instrument.

It comes in a Gator hardcase (pictured) which has a small crack about 2 inches in length on one of the corners on the underside of the case. It doesn't however detract from the durability and I'd happily ship it with peace of mind.

The beautiful thing about this instrument is it's versatility. I currently have a set of medium gauge roundwounds on it which with a bit of subtle EQ tranforms the bass into sounding like a normal fretted bass with a real mid-range punch. However if you're looking for an out and out fretless sound, put on some flats and it does just that! Intonation is not as much of an issue because of the maple lines on the neck.

I paid £2600 for it in 2008, so I'm looking for about [s]£2000[/s] for it plus postage, but open to offers. If anyone wants to come and give it a play I'm in Leeds with a fully soundproofed rehearsal space and Aguilar setup, I'll even throw in a free coffee. I'm hopefully going to upload a video of me showing it's versatility over the next week or so. I'll happily answer any questions about it, and can take more photos should you desire. Happy browsing...

UPDATE: Price now [s]£1700[/s]!!

UPDATE: watch [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O32QwyLsm24[/media] to fully hear it in all it's beauty!

UPDATE: Price now £1300 plus shipping!!

Matt - 07855049915

Edited by mattiesim

Got one too and love it.
Great basses although they cost a good bit more nowadays for this kinda quality and workmanship.

Shame you are selling. I couldn't sell mine. ?
Well to be honest wife bought me it for my birthday (was a special occasion) :)

Wish this had been on market when i bought mine last year.

Good price and good luck with the sale.
Buyer won't be disappointed with this.

Cheers
Dave

Thanks Dave, is that the one on your profile I'm assuming? looks pretty with the matching pickup covers. Yeah just looked at the Overwater site and to have this built new new would set you back a little over £3000. Seems I got in just at the right time.

Forget to mention it's quite a heavy beast, and definitely requires a nice thick leather strap to prevent shoulder ache, I found that out the hard way!

Just been looking into postage too and it would be about £30 for insured delivery to the UK by courier.

I'm definitely open to offers though if someone's feeling a bit cheeky (but within reason!)

Ah go on, I promise you won't be disappointed...

[quote name='gstirrat' post='1239190' date='May 21 2011, 11:58 AM']Very nice bass! Would love to own this! (Maybe after some saving?!) What scale length is the neck?[/quote]

It's a nice round 36" so probably not for the short armed bassists among us!

Mine is walnut base wood too but don't find the bass very heavy at all in comparison to my Warwick Thumb which weighs a ton.
That is one of the main features with the 6 string Overwaters that they are quite lite for a 6 stringer.
Maybe you're facing wood is making the differance.

Yep that's mine on my profile. The pick-up covers certainly make a diff and it also has a name across the 24th fret in pearl as it was a 50th birthday present from my wife.
Chris did a fantastic job and I'm very happy with it.
Might at some stage consider a fretted version but need to save a few quid first.

Good luck with the sale.
Whoever buys will not be disappointed.

Cheers
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Surely you've heard that an extra inch wouldn't make a diff.
That's what women always tell me :)

I change between a jazz, warwick and overwater and never really notice the scale diff.
I guess you just get used to what you have :)

I've just checked my Overwater fretless and its only 35" scale length. ?? from bridge to saddles.

Cheers
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Hmm, maybe mines only 35 as well in that case, I'll get my measuring tape out in the morning and let you know, just on the way home from rockin' another wedding, ha! Now you mention it I'm not 100% sure, its never felt like a big stretch for me and my fairly modest sized hands...

[quote name='mattiesim' post='1239836' date='May 21 2011, 11:59 PM']Hmm, maybe mines only 35 as well in that case, I'll get my measuring tape out in the morning and let you know, just on the way home from rockin' another wedding, ha! Now you mention it I'm not 100% sure, its never felt like a big stretch for me and my fairly modest sized hands...[/quote]

I'm only your average 5'9" and small hands and like you say its not a stretch or even noticeable.
Small Hands - Big ??? :)
I'm sure i heard a snappy phrase that sounded something like that. :)
Probably not i guess.

Dave
:lol:

Apologies, upon closer inspection it turns out it is a 35" scale after all. I was a bit confused though because of the way the bridge is set. I don't know if you can tell from the pictures, but the low B string's bridge saddle is set further back than the high C, with the rest in a diagonal line between. So the distance from bridge to nut on the B string is actually about 35 3/4" leading me to believe it was a 36" scale, however the high C is bang on 35" so it's obviously a 35" scale just a bit misleading is all. But yeah I go between this bass and my 34" Fender Jazz with ease and although you can obviously feel the difference in scale length, it's not at all uncomfortable.

Hope this clears it up, sorry for my incompetence - maths never was my strong point!

Edited by mattiesim

video bump!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O32QwyLsm24"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O32QwyLsm24[/url]

enjoy, and ignore my horrible horrible intonation - haven't played it in a while...

Edited by mattiesim

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' post='1248567' date='May 28 2011, 07:33 PM']I don't suppose you would be interested in a swap for a Status King bass artist in Cocobolo with green LEDs?

Brendan[/quote]

No, sorry! As lovely as I'm sure your Status is, I'm afraid I'm just looking for cold hard cash on this one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...