Why become a member? ×

Aerodyne direct replacement bridge?

Lylodile

I may be coming into possession of an aerodyne jazz bass soon :). However, I was wondering what options there are for replacing the bridge without routing the body (I am not a fan of the bits of bent tin fender seem to issue as standard). I heard the badass II's don't work because of the curved tops, but would other bridges work? I've been looking at hipshot type A bridges and Gotoh 201's. Would they fit fine?

[quote name='Lylodile' post='1235024' date='May 17 2011, 10:35 PM']I may be coming into possession of an aerodyne jazz bass soon :). However, [b]I was wondering what options there are for replacing the bridge without routing the body[/b] (I am not a fan of the bits of bent tin fender seem to issue as standard). I heard the badass II's don't work because of the curved tops, but would other bridges work? I've been looking at hipshot type A bridges and Gotoh 201's. Would they fit fine?[/quote]

The base plate has to be exactly the same size as the original if you don't want to do any routing or leave unsightly gaps. That severely restricts your options. The Wilkinson bridge with brass saddles MIGHT be close in dimensions but I don't know definitively:

Otherwise, you either have a routing job ahead of you, or you accept what's on there - which despite all the negativity isn't the worst bridge in the world. You could have one of these:

See, the 4 saddle Fender bridge now seems positively high tech! :)

Edited by neepheid