Why become a member? ×

Transcribing original songs from MP3s

solo4652

[quote name='silddx' post='1237371' date='May 19 2011, 08:29 PM']If I need to let songs sink in, I ALWAYS do something else at the same time. Drive, play a stupid game on my Blackberry with the music in the headphones, cook dinner, whatever. In a day or two, I'm humming parts of the songs without prompting or I get earworms and stuff. If it's complex, I will record the bass to the track and force myself to get it right and understand the arrangement.[/quote]

Really? I'd never considered that. In fact, quite the reverse - I tend to concentrate fully on a song with nothing else going on to distract me. Maybe I'm trying too hard. Never could multi-task.

[quote name='solo4652' post='1237811' date='May 20 2011, 09:58 AM']Really? I'd never considered that. In fact, quite the reverse - I tend to concentrate fully on a song with nothing else going on to distract me. Maybe I'm trying too hard. Never could multi-task.[/quote]
Ahhh, but it's not about multi tasking, it's about letting my subconscious do the work. Then when I come to learn the song, and do the hard work, the 'form' of the music and its key features are already in my memory. It seems to make learning the details of the arrangement easier because it allows me to concentrate on the details rather than having to get the song in my head at the same time.