Why become a member? ×

how to get markbass repaired if second hand?

Pbass1

Hi hope this the right section, just wondering if anyone knows the route for getting markbass speakers and amps repaired if not purchased new ?

have just got a second hand traveller 210 and not sure how to get it serviced etc

also would prefer to buy a second hand F1 or LM3 but again worried about servicing?

would be grateful for your comments, if anyone has any knowledge of this

cheers Paul

Take a look at the 'Amp tech' thread in the pinned listing at the top of this section and see if there's anyone local to you - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=198"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=198[/url]

Thanks for that I will check them out, wasnt sure they would be able to get the parts, as it says on Markbass website we dont sell spare parts?

"Can I buy a Markbass speaker or tweeter?

We do not sell spare parts. If one of your speakers or tweeters should become damaged, it will be replaced during service, and the faulty part gets returned to Markbass for analysis."

Have a chat with the very nice people at Proel - [url="http://www.proelint.co.uk/"]http://www.proelint.co.uk/[/url]. They're the UK distributor for MarkBass and have been very helpful to me in the past

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Pbass1' post='1229897' date='May 13 2011, 01:27 PM']Hi hope this the right section, just wondering if anyone knows the route for getting markbass speakers and amps repaired if not purchased new ?

have just got a second hand traveller 210 and not sure how to get it serviced etc

also would prefer to buy a second hand F1 or LM3 but again worried about servicing?

would be grateful for your comments, if anyone has any knowledge of this

cheers Paul[/quote]

Dude, I needed to get my MB TA503 head fixed out of warranty and I went through PROEL the distributor. It weren't cheap but they were pretty quick, easy to communicate with by phone and email and it came back warrantied and as good as new - no worries there. Independent repairers can be great but IMHO a lot of this lightweight stuff (I mean as in weight not as in robustness) is going to be a bit more complex to fix when it goes wrong- particularly power amps etc - for a head (and you can remove the combo head easily). I'd just send it to Proel. Maybe complexity is the downside of this new lightweight stuff but I for one don't want to go back to simple but heavy stuff that doesn't always sound as good or that needs valves fettling every 10 minutes (unless one day I have somebody to fix and move it in and out of gigs for me :) ).

On the other hand with cabs it's going to get more pricey to send either side of the service/repair- I'd be tempted to try replacing speakers or tweeters myself with proprietory spares like Eminence - it's probably all spade connectors in there so how hard can it be? - I did this ok with both drivers and tweeter in an SWR cab I had once an I'm not a techie type (I may have just lost some OCD sufferers who'll be concerned with cabinet 'tuning' etc).

If the kit is current then best go through that distributor, even if out of warranty for things like chassis/speakers'

As for the amp...what is so special about the electrical parts they use anyway..?

My amp tech..who has a very good CV/background in design could write his own stages anyway, so making sense of most kit is easy enough to someone who knows.