Why become a member? ×

Help & advice needed.

geoffbyrne

We have a pair of Peavey Eurosys 500 XT cabs. (Each driver is 250W @ 4 Ohm)

One of the drivers is blown - it sounds like a fuzz - it looks like a Black Widow I've seen in pics on Ebay, but I'm not sure. There's a sticker saying it's already a replacement basket.

I have no experience with these.

Question:

Is it only the basket that ever goes wrong with these & how much are the replacements?

Does the coil element ever go wrong? If so, how could you tell which component is dud?

Would I be better just replacing it with a 15" 4 Ohm 250(ish)W if I can find one?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

G.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='1228894' date='May 12 2011, 02:59 PM']We have a pair of Peavey Eurosys 500 XT cabs. (Each driver is 250W @ 4 Ohm)

One of the drivers is blown - it sounds like a fuzz - it looks like a Black Widow I've seen in pics on Ebay, but I'm not sure. There's a sticker saying it's already a replacement basket.

I have no experience with these.

Question:

Is it only the basket that ever goes wrong with these & how much are the replacements?

Does the coil element ever go wrong? If so, how could you tell which component is dud?

Would I be better just replacing it with a 15" 4 Ohm 250(ish)W if I can find one?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

G.[/quote]

If by 'basket' you mean the metal chassis that the cone sits in, there's nothing there to go wrong (unless the magnet falls off the back or the chassis gets twisted).

99% of the time it's going to be the coil that fails.
With the speaker on it's back, gently lay a light dinner plate on the cone.
Very gently push the plate down - if you feel a 'grating' then the voicecoil has melted.

A recone is always going to be cheaper on a BW than trying to find a new replacement.

OK, on more research I've discovered that this is most likely a Peavey Scorpion.

Comes in 2 parts - what's called the 'Basket, comprising of the frame, cone & coil, and the magnet which is kept on by 3 bolts.

Remove bolts, lift of magnet, replace basket, coil & cone.

But how/why/where/how much? Is there a Peavey dealer in Leicester or Nottingham?

G.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='1229017' date='May 12 2011, 04:51 PM']But how/why/where/how much? Is there a Peavey dealer in Leicester or Nottingham?[/quote]

Not sure if there's a dealer round here but the service centre is just over the border in Northamptonshire:

Service Dpt - Peavey Electronics
Great Folds Road
Oakley Hay
Corby
Northamptonshire
NN18 9ET
Phone: 01536 461234
Fax: 01536 747222
e-mail: [email protected]

I've had dealings with them before and they are very helpfull. :)