Why become a member? ×

Looking for tutor in Canterbury

MissPenguin

[quote name='MissPenguin' post='1227780' date='May 11 2011, 05:17 PM']Hi,
I used to play double bass a couple a year ago at about grade 6/7 standard.
Would really like to take up lessons again in September of this year when I can bring my double bass to university.
If anyone knows anyone in the area, drop me a line?
Thank you :)[/quote]

Welcome to Canterbury, and let me know if you find a decent tutor down here, I haven't managed it yet :)

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='1227786' date='May 11 2011, 05:23 PM']Welcome to Canterbury, and let me know if you find a decent tutor down here, I haven't managed it yet :)[/quote]

Oh, really? I didn't think that Canterbury would be the sort of place to be hoarding bass teachers to be honest, although I haven't really looked much. Such a shame really.

[quote name='MissPenguin' post='1227788' date='May 11 2011, 05:26 PM']Oh, really? I didn't think that Canterbury would be the sort of place to be hoarding bass teachers to be honest, although I haven't really looked much. Such a shame really.[/quote]

I was promised a call back from a tutor down here about a year ago and it never came! A few of the guys on here have offered to travel down if there is enough interest, but that's likely to be more ad-hoc than regular, and to my mind, teaching needs to be regular.

If you're Grade 6/7, you could probably teach me a thing or two though :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1227789' date='May 11 2011, 05:28 PM']I was promised a call back from a tutor down here about a year ago and it never came! A few of the guys on here have offered to travel down if there is enough interest, but that's likely to be more ad-hoc than regular, and to my mind, teaching needs to be regular.

If you're Grade 6/7, you could probably teach me a thing or two though :)[/quote]

Haha! Yeah I was beginning to wonder if I might have more luck in London.. Only 51 minutes away by highspeed train! But it's quite a distance. Who was the person you tried? I found a number on "musicteachers.co.uk" but usually those sites are really out-of-date.
I haven't played in quite a while! Not properly anyway. I miss being in an orchestra a lot... There is an orchestra at my university but I wouldn't dare go near it until I'd had some lessons again!

[quote name='MissPenguin' post='1227791' date='May 11 2011, 05:32 PM']Haha! Yeah I was beginning to wonder if I might have more luck in London.. Only 51 minutes away by highspeed train! But it's quite a distance. Who was the person you tried? I found a number on "musicteachers.co.uk" but usually those sites are really out-of-date.
I haven't played in quite a while! Not properly anyway. I miss being in an orchestra a lot... There is an orchestra at my university but I wouldn't dare go near it until I'd had some lessons again![/quote]

Are you at UK or Christchurch (I teach occasionally at both, not DB unfortunately however). Christchurch has an extremely good music department so you might find someone there. Re the orchestra, I would just go for it, it might be a better learning curve than lessons anyway?

[quote name='Beedster' post='1227800' date='May 11 2011, 05:44 PM']Are you at UK or Christchurch (I teach occasionally at both, not DB unfortunately however). Christchurch has an extremely good music department so you might find someone there. Re the orchestra, I would just go for it, it might be a better learning curve than lessons anyway?[/quote]

I'm at UKC. :) Yeah when I asked for information on it, the people were rude to me :/ Maybe they just had a bad day or something!

I was under the impression there was a double bass tutor at CCCU? I teach bass for Christchurch but not classical upright I'm afraid. Seems to be a lack of double bass tutors (or people who can really play, not just own!).

try Rutledge Turnland (google search) who is based in Faversham ( I think he played on some stuff by 4hero), - he is currently teaching one of my 2nd years about bowing technique. I may be able to get the number or an email but see if you can find it first as my students don't always get straight back to me!