Why become a member? ×

Hartke HA2500 Problem

Mykesbass

Had my Hartke HA2500 from new since last August. Every now and again I switch on, plug in and get no sound. I've checked to make sure I wait for the protection circuit to click before turning volume up. This has now happened thre or four times, previous times a quick switch off and on seemed to sort it but last night it was dead for ages, before deciding to finally come to life.

Anyone with any similar experience/knowledge?

Cheers,
Mike

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1227770' date='May 11 2011, 05:01 PM']Had my Hartke HA2500 from new since last August. Every now and again I switch on, plug in and get no sound. I've checked to make sure I wait for the protection circuit to click before turning volume up. This has now happened thre or four times, previous times a quick switch off and on seemed to sort it but last night it was dead for ages, before deciding to finally come to life.

Anyone with any similar experience/knowledge?

Cheers,
Mike[/quote]

Have you tried changing speaker leads?
An intermittantly short circuit speaker lead will prevent the protection relay from clicking on (at least it does on my old HA3000).

[quote name='icastle' post='1227878' date='May 11 2011, 06:55 PM']Have you tried changing speaker leads?
An intermittantly short circuit speaker lead will prevent the protection relay from clicking on (at least it does on my old HA3000).[/quote]

I did try yesterday, although the replacement was an instrument lead not a speaker cable. Does sound very much like my problem - another visit to OBBM!

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1228082' date='May 11 2011, 09:35 PM']I did try yesterday, although the replacement was an instrument lead not a speaker cable. Does sound very much like my problem - another visit to OBBM![/quote]
Do you get a solid signal from the direct out and the effects send if it has one)
If yes then the chances are its a loose connection or an intermitent fault/component between the pre amp and the power amp side.
Normally if it's the power amp you often get a slight burning smell.
The other option is that your jack sockets from the amp to speaker are duff but as there is more than one of these it would be very unlightly.
Are all the pots good on input gains and the master volume, it only takes a bit of dust in the wrong place or a dry joint somewhere?
Hope this helps, let me know how you go.

[quote name='fluffo' post='1228116' date='May 11 2011, 10:07 PM']Do you get a solid signal from the direct out and the effects send if it has one)
If yes then the chances are its a loose connection or an intermitent fault/component between the pre amp and the power amp side.
Normally if it's the power amp you often get a slight burning smell.
The other option is that your jack sockets from the amp to speaker are duff but as there is more than one of these it would be very unlightly.
Are all the pots good on input gains and the master volume, it only takes a bit of dust in the wrong place or a dry joint somewhere?
Hope this helps, let me know how you go.[/quote]

Thanks for that Fluffo, will try the direct out and effect send out later - meanwhile, checked the speaker cable and there was the tiniest strand of stray wire touching the opposite contact - looks like ICastle may have nailed it! Will let you know for sure tomorrow when I get the chance to plug it all in.