Why become a member? ×

Recently completed tracks...

51m0n

Thought I'd share some recordings I've recently completed for some very very good friends, Brighton based band Line Horizontal.

Have a listen to The Individuils and Your Mouths Are Killing You (first two tracks on the page):-

[url="http://www.invisiblelandscapes.co.uk/lh_music.html"]http://www.invisiblelandscapes.co.uk/lh_music.html[/url]

Drums tracked to a click in a rehearsal studio with the most basic equipment, overdubs done in Logic on a Mac, some editing done there too. Mixed using Reaper, with a great deal of love.

These aren't yet 'mastered' so you are hearing the unadulterated mixes before any fairy dust and leprechaun like magic from a mastering engineer with an audio degree fromo Hogwarts and enough kit to sink the Belgrano twice over....

I hope you like them!

Nice work, like it!

Really well mixed and they're great tracks too, I'll certainly keep an ear out for the band. Very quirky, tight playing and like I said, well put together by yourself. I'm currently tinkering with mixing using Reaper on a laptop (got the builders in so my desktop Mac is under wraps...) and it's great piece of software: best bang your buck of any DAW, most likely.

Only, very minor thing I could suggest is maybe tweaking the phaser/flanger effect a little bit. It's quite a prominent feature of both tracks - not necessarily a bad thing, just something I'd maybe play with.

Keep us posted if you develop them any further; though I'd personally be very happy with both tracks as they stand :-)

Cheers!

The flange and phase effects in the vocal samples was on the source tracks, and the bass guitar was tracked with an envelope filter, so I couldnt remove those even if I wanted to.

Personally I think they work great, but I imagine some people may feel they are a bit obvious, which is kind of the point :))

Reaper and a few free VSTs all that was used in the mixing process. Staggeringly powerful tools compared to what I started on in 1990, never ceases to amaze me how far audio has come in such a short time.

[quote name='51m0n' post='1229537' date='May 13 2011, 12:41 AM']Staggeringly powerful tools compared to what I started on in 1990, never ceases to amaze me how far audio has come in such a short time.[/quote]

^ Amen to that! I have software on my phone that is better than what was around back then...

In fact, I'm going through a kind of 'back to basics' phase at the moment. Mainly due to necessity - my desktop machine and other gadgetry is currently boxed away - so I'm fiddling around making tracks with my iPhone and mixing them in Reaper. It's actually turning out to be great fun and I'm weirdly enjoying the limitations of it. Makes a nice change from being spoilt for choice! I might post something on Basschat once I'm done with it...

There's a lot to be said for working within limitations!

There were definite limitations in recording those tracks, the drums were tracked to sequenced click/samples/synths (played back in the drummers cans from logic on a mac book pro) using a Zoom H4n in a reheasal studio with a couple of decent dynamic mics (one on snare, one on the kick) and the internal condensers as overheads. Of course this requires a drummer who can play to click and knows the tracks inside out. Kit tuning and mic position becomes if anything even more critical when working like this to capture the best sound possible.

Love the result, even though the drums are quite low in the mix to make everything else sound really loud, they are absolutely definitely the drummer's kit, the snare timbre is particularly well retained. Super pleased with it!

The rest of the tracking was done at the drummer's flat, using cheap mics, and a simple but decent audio interface into logic.

By those standards this should sound like a cheap and nasty 4 track demo. Yet the advances in audio tech mean that the actual result thats achievable is frankly staggeringly good.

Now is not a good time to be trying to make a living from a project studio IMO!

^ Wow, that really puts it in context!

Again, superb job mate. I'd have put money on the tracks being 100% studio-made, so you deserve a huge pat on the back from the band here... or an almighty hangover! :)

Not sure if you work in music for a living, but it's even more impressive if not. I'm certainly no "pro", just been messing around at home for a number of years, and I'd be very, very happy with what you've produced here. It's certainly far better than my own efforts with live audio (but that might not be saying much!).

Like I said, good work. Hope they buy you mucho beer (or whatever poison) for your trouble, you've earned it.