Why become a member? ×

What strings..?

P-T-P

So I bought a Lakland 55-02 recently and the strings that were on it felt very nice to me but hadn't been fitted very well (cut a bit too short).

Anyway, I've put a set of my usual strings (DR Extras .045s) on there and I'm not liking the bass quite as much as I did with the "original" strings on there.

The ones that came off were roundwounds, I'm guessing steel but possibly nickel as they certainly weren't as harsh on the fingers as a set of Swing Bass 66 for example.

The silks on them were red at the ball end and a kinda bluey-purple at the peg end. The bass was strung through the body and even with this and the 35" scale, the silks cleared the nut quite comfortably - which is not always the case with some strings.

Any idea what brand they might be?

[quote name='acidbass' post='141064' date='Feb 15 2008, 02:14 PM']It's possible that they're an OEM string brand that Lakland put on their shipped basses, so there's a chance you may not be able to buy them commercially.

Sorry I can't be of any more help! :)[/quote]

Thanks, definitely not Lakland strings though as their's have grey silk on them and the B and E strings are tapered at the bridge.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='141073' date='Feb 15 2008, 02:29 PM']My Elites Stadiums on my jazz are the same colours.....and as far as the nut end's concerned, it's through a Badass bridge not a thru-body, but there's still a good 1.75-2 inches past the nut before the silk.

So it could be them.[/quote]

Was thinking they might be Elites, haven't used them for years, had black silk on them in those days as I recall.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='141136' date='Feb 15 2008, 03:47 PM']Thanks, definitely not Lakland strings though as their's have grey silk on them and the B and E strings are tapered at the bridge.

Was thinking they might be Elites, haven't used them for years, had black silk on them in those days as I recall.[/quote]
I've just put a set of Elites on my JO5. They're long scale, not extra long, and they clear the nut by about a centimetre. In fact the B string's only about half a centimetre. But they are still definitely red and purpley blue.