Why become a member? ×

Dave Sutton on bass with Lucinda Williams

molan

Went to see Lucinda last night at House of Blues in New Orleans. Great little venue with a seriously good house sound system. Second time I've been there and sound was really good lasttime as well (Thievery Corporation a few years back).

Her bass player was a guy called Dave Sutton who I've never really noticed or heard of before. Last time I saw Lucinda he was buried in a wall of mud at Shepherds Bush :)

However last night his out front sound was to die for. Rich round notes cutting through a, very sharp crisp mix, with amazing definition and clarity. Really one of the very best live sounds I've ever heard!

And what was he using to achieve this? Good old Fender P with a classic Ampeg head and what looked like a 6x10 (do Ampeg make one of these?).

Couldn't tell if it was an original old P bass or maybe something like a Pino signature - whatever it sounded killer. He also used an upright and some sort of very funky semi acoustic. I'm on a phone now so can't post pic links easily. If you look at his MySpace page you'll see pics of all three basses :)

[quote name='KK Jale' post='1224396' date='May 8 2011, 07:23 PM']Cool semi! That's an Old Kraftsman, basically a re-badged Kay.[/quote]

Cheers KK - it sounded great!

Dave alternated between the Kraftsman & the P bass all evening and got just the perfect sound for each song. Even my wife mentioned how great the bass tone was and said she could actually hear the difference between each bass :)