Why become a member? ×

P Bass - Reduced volume on E string

whizzzy

I've recently acquired a CIJ Fender P Bass which is a 62RI (my first P bass in almost 30 years of playing :) ). Now I'm getting familiar with it I find that there is a noticeable drop in volume on the E string compared to the A, D and G strings. The bass is strung with D’addario Chrome flats and the first port of call was to replace the string but that hasn't helped at all.

I've also tried to compensate this by adjusting the pup height under the E string which has helped a little but I still can't get it sounding absolutely right (however this tends to go against what I've seen on other P basses where the pup height beneath the E string seems to somewhat lower than the A string side.

Unplugged the bass sounds OK and just like it should so I'm leaning towards there being a problem with the neck pup however when the A string sounds fine this tends to contradict my diagnosis as it is basically the same pup.

I don't really want to have to change the pups as I'm a stickler for originality but before I do this as a last resort can anyone chip in any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Col

Yes, the drop is noticeable whatever I play through - either through the rig at the rehearsal studio or through my practice setup on the pc which is being connected via an ART Tube Amp module.

I don't have another D’addario but have used an equivalent / similar gauge used E string to verify this. The D’addario stings look like they have been on the bass for a while and I would prefer to keep them on there if possible as the sound I'm after is the more like Motown / Stax sound. From the tests I've made I'm fairly confident that the problem doesn't stem from the string.

I had a similar problem years ago,the E-A half of the pickup had called it a day,making the E string weak,but the D-G half was still working ok and was still making the A string loud enough.
You could swap the 2 halves of the pickup around to see if the volume loss transfers to the G.

Edited by hillbilly deluxe

Does sound like its the pickup, if you checked the string, EQ etc....

I know you want to keep it original, but TBH the pickups in those CIJ's are nothing special IMHO.
Personally would swap it out for something better like a Wizard Trad or a Seymour Duncan 'Vintage' anyway.
That's what I have in my CIJ '62 RI - with the La Bellas, it nails that Motown/Stax tone.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will try turning the pups around and see what results that brings.

Nick - you suggest changing the pups to Seymour Duncan 'Vintage'. Are these the SBP-1's and are they a straight fit or does it require the pick guard to be filed out a little? I've read elsewhere on the forum that some folks have needed to do this but I'm not clear if this is for the Seymour Duncan or other replacements.

Just out of interest what gauge LaBellas have you used on your Pbass?

[quote name='whizzzy' post='1224143' date='May 8 2011, 02:40 PM']Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will try turning the pups around and see what results that brings.

Nick - you suggest changing the pups to Seymour Duncan 'Vintage'. Are these the SBP-1's and are they a straight fit or does it require the pick guard to be filed out a little? I've read elsewhere on the forum that some folks have needed to do this but I'm not clear if this is for the Seymour Duncan or other replacements.

Just out of interest what gauge LaBellas have you used on your Pbass?[/quote]

I like SPB-1's, they're not too expensive & have a good honest P-Bass tone IMO. Got one in my old Tokai too. My Sue Ryder/Mighty Mite mongrel which has a Wizard Trad, which I think is also good. Went in my basses with no issues fit-wise.
I think La Bellas are good for Soul bass tones, but I don't think they're the only brand that will get that. Any decent flats should get you there. I like 49-109, but some find them too heavy, again it's down to what you find comfortable to play, don't think gauge necessarily dictates tone.

Here's my baby...

2004 Fender CIJ '62 RI, Upgraded tuners, CTS pots, PIO tone cap, Seymour Duncan SPB-1 'Vintage' pickup, covers & thumbrest added.... otherwise standard :)
Strung with La Bella flats, foam under bridge. Its not a heavy bass; a nice weight & a lovely neck to play - a good bass for long gigs.

Edited by nick