Why become a member? ×

Processing piezo pickup output on DB

I am new to DB playing, but already have some gig work on the horizon, so need to amplify.
Have fitted a Shadow piezo p/u under the bridge. Firstly, I found it sounded much better with just one of the transducers in place (under the bridge's G string foot). With a piezo under both feet the sound was more nasal, almost like a phase cancelling effect.
The sound from the p/u will do, but I'm sure could be much improved. The DB is an old no-name east european thing which I picked up for 35 quid in a junk shop. I've had it; fingerboard skimmed, set up and a new bridge made by the great Roger Dawson. New d'Addario strings. It's accoustic tone is pretty restrained and lacking sustain on the lower strings, which I suspect is due to my poor technique and instrument quality in equal measure.
Is there a processor, e.g. SansAmp or something, which might extract a nice amplified acoustic DB sound for me?
I am using a Little Mark III and Mark Bass 1x12 for portability 'cos the bass fills up the rest of my car!

Edited by malcolm.mcintyre

Hi there, check all the threads on preamps in this section of the forum. Most recommend the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ and, to a lesser extent, the Headway EDB-1. Not only do these tone shape but they have useful frequency filters to cut out or at least minimise feedback.

[quote name='malcolm.mcintyre' post='1219616' date='May 4 2011, 10:39 AM']Thanks. The Shadow comes with a little battery powered pre-amp attached to the bass strings below the bridge. Would you take the output from that to a better pre-amp, or actually replace it?[/quote]
Hmm, I assumed you had a passive Shadow piezo. I had better step aside and let someone else step in with advice here!

Hey Malcolm.

I'm using the same pickup (and quite similar amplification - Markbass LMII in EA Wizzy 10), and have a Fishman Platinum Pro preamp coming in next week to try. I'll be taking the output from the Shadow pre out into the Fishman pre, as that seems to be the simplest option. I can report back when it's here and let you know what that setup is like, if you want?

I wish there were some specs (impedance etc) available online for the Shadow pre though, so I know what I'm messing with! Maybe I'm being thick, but can't find a list of specs on the Shadow website.

In the meantime, I found quite a nice/useable tone feeding direct from the Shadow pre into the LMII but cutting the treble entirely and the bass all but a little bit. Seemed to clean a little of that low-freq mud out, and tidy up the piezo whine a bit.

H

Yeah, I'm using both. I know that if there is a phase cancelling effect, you can get around this by reversing the phase of one of the elements (usually by flipping it upside down relative to the other element). I mean, why bother having two elements if one is just gonna be unplugged? It's designed to be used with both.

I'll admit, I've been using both elements in without worrying too much, and have never been disappointed with my tone. I might have to give just one a try and see if there is some phase cancelling effect. I'd recommend if you do find your tone is better with only one element, try using both with one upside down.

General opinion is that soundwise: two elements out of phase < one element < both elements in phase.

EDIT - I've dropped a few questions (specifically regarding the Shadow Nanoflex system) about this over on Talkbass, so I'll see what turns up from there.

Edited by Hector