Why become a member? ×

Which Fretless Electro Acoustic?

wazz

I have decided I really want a Fretless Electro Acoustic bass. But which one should I consider?
Shops dont carry a big selection so its hard to try that many out.
Ideally I'm looking up to £600 but would go to £1000 if it was really special.
The advice and experience of basschatters is needed and appreciated!!

Ta
Wazz

[quote name='wazz' post='1218021' date='May 2 2011, 08:34 PM']I have decided I really want a Fretless Electro Acoustic bass. But which one should I consider?
Shops dont carry a big selection so its hard to try that many out.
Ideally I'm looking up to £600 but would go to £1000 if it was really special.
The advice and experience of basschatters is needed and appreciated!!

Ta
Wazz[/quote]

Hiya.
Have you tried out or owned an electro acoustic bass before (fretted or fretless)?
I'm asking that because, sad to say, the general opinion (not just mine) is that they're a bit disappointing.
Unless you pay a lot of money they just don't cut the mustard volume-wise. You really have to amp them up to compete with a moderately strummed acoustic guitar, which really defeats the object of having an acoustic bass.
Having said that, I still use my Ibanez EAB in some circumstances. Sometimes the look of the instrument suits the band I'm playing in and sometimes the rich, deep tone of the thing is right. Oh, and they are prone to feedback too!
Sorry if I've come across a bit negative, but I recommend trying one before you buy. You can come and try mine if you like, I'm in Derby.

Only tried them out in shops.
Intended use is at home (acoustically) and via a PA for acoustic duo's. Wouldnt really use one in a full-on loud band scenario.
Thanks for the offer but I'm some way from Derby :)

I agree that it's worth trying them, and that their volume is lower than one might hope. But I don't agree with the conclusion that this makes them pointless or only useful for their look. Many people play electro-acoustic guitars in situations that are loud enough that they need to amp the guitar, but no-one would suggest they just use an electric instead - they obviously have a different sound, and one that's very appealing for some things.

I've got a fretless electro-acoustic. And yes, without amplification it can't even compete with a single 6-string acoustic strummed gently. (It can just about compete with gentle finger-picking). But I've used it live, with amplification, to get a very different sound and vibe to what an electric would give. Yes, people comment about the look, but many more comment about the sound. It's not an upright sound, but it is recognizably acoustic. It's never going to be my main bass, but it's a lovely thing to have.

[quote name='wazz' post='1218021' date='May 2 2011, 08:34 PM']....I have decided I really want a Fretless Electro Acoustic bass. But which one should I consider?....[/quote]
I'm looking as well, but mine will have to be a 5 string so my choices in the UK are limited.

I have no experience of any of these basses but the ones that have caught my attention via various comments on Talkbass are Washburn, Godin, Rick Turner and my favourite so far, Rob Allen.

I would opt for a 5 string but might settle for a 4 string.
I have tried Dean, Breedlove (only fretless), Godin A5, Takamine and Ovation Applause but none really struck me as great.
I need to be led by someone in the know :)