Why become a member? ×

cracks in neck pocket

alyctes

I've just acquired a Yamaha BB450, 4-string, bolt-on neck held by four screws. There are cracks in the wood of the body from both the screws at the neck (open) end of the pocket. I've removed the neck to have a look, and it's definitely cracks in the wood, not just the lacquer.

The bloke I got it from bought it sight unseen from eBay a few years back - my guess is that it was dropped or stressed badly in transit, since I can't see any obvious sign of a harsh blow to the headstock.

How serious an issue is this? It's not something I've seen before. Any comments welcome.

Edited by alyctes

Thank you both, much appreciated.

I can't move one of them at all, but the other definitely opens. I think I'd better glue it.

It has other issues - missing nut holding the three-way switch, woodscrews and washers holding the strap (!!) (those went ASAP, but I will probably have to plug and drill the body to put sensible strap pins on), a nasty crackle on two of the switch settings, the switch endcap is missing, and quite a few dents bumps and bangs. So I may well wind up stripping it for parts.

Edited by alyctes