Why become a member? ×

Real Book Sixth Edition

thisnameistaken

I think the criticism stems from the fact that some tunes that were in the original "illegal" edition are no longer in the new "legal" edition, presumably due to licensing restrictions.

The US and European versions have different songs. I have a US copy, which I am told has more/better songs. Might be worth checking out before you buy.

Jennifer

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1209051' date='Apr 23 2011, 12:39 PM']...Is this because it contains a lot of mistakes, or is it a poor selection of tunes or what?[/quote]
Good afternoon, thisnameistaken...

You will find here...

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Real-Book-Hal-Leonard-Corporation/dp/0634060384"]Aamazon.com Real-Book Sixth Edition[/url]

...some buyers comments on this. I would leaves to you the judge as to the pertinence of these criticisms to your situation and needs.
Hope this helps...

Edited by Dad3353

Thanks to both of you, this looks like a right mess of a situation! Jennifer - in terms of the gigs you do, do you find everybody is still using the fifth edition?

I suppose it might make sense for me to buy the sixth ed. and try to print some of the stuff from the fifth ed. that is missing so I have them in hard copy.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1209103' date='Apr 23 2011, 12:27 PM']Jennifer - in terms of the gigs you do, do you find everybody is still using the fifth edition?[/quote]

It depends mostly on the age of the musicians. Younger ones will tend to have the new editions, older musicians will have the previous editions.

I've noticed that more or more are using the iphone / ipad real book these days though.

Jennifer