Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT3 problems.....

Veils

I have just bought one of the slightly older SVT3 heads from a very pleasant young chappy on this forum. Now on receiving said amp, I plugged it in to find that it was VERY quiet. Having the volume and gain on half and the eq volume on pretty much full gave me sufficient volume to play along to a cd. Now I have since discovered that the cab is a 4ohm jobby which is even more alarming because that should mean I am louder?!

Also the tube gain knob makes some rather odd crackly noises when turning it and when i turn it right down the sound actually cuts out altogether for a brief second then comes back.

I don't want to have to send the amp back but I aint so keen on the idea of having an amp that I have forked out for which needs lots of repairs so if anyone can give me any idea what it could be that would be great =)

The chap I purchased from informs me the tubes are all in working order......

[quote name='presoulnation' post='138126' date='Feb 11 2008, 01:03 PM']I have just bought one of the slightly older SVT3 heads from a very pleasant young chappy on this forum. Now on receiving said amp, I plugged it in to find that it was VERY quiet. Having the volume and gain on half and the eq volume on pretty much full gave me sufficient volume to play along to a cd. Now I have since discovered that the cab is a 4ohm jobby which is even more alarming because that should mean I am louder?!

Also the tube gain knob makes some rather odd crackly noises when turning it and when i turn it right down the sound actually cuts out altogether for a brief second then comes back.

I don't want to have to send the amp back but I aint so keen on the idea of having an amp that I have forked out for which needs lots of repairs so if anyone can give me any idea what it could be that would be great =)

The chap I purchased from informs me the tubes are all in working order......[/quote]

It could many different things that would cause that problem. But, the tube gain knob would explain a lot if it is not working correctly, try pushing and pulling it. It will need replacing anyway but that little test might help make sure you change the correct bit.

It could be a valve problem but even if you change them then it will need to be re-biased anyway by a techie.

Dave

It may well be worth your while getting a tech to give it a once over and service - just for that piece of mind. I always tried to do this when buying second hand valve hear because you just don't know what kind of a life it has had so far. If it is kept in the 'right' condition, it will outlast just about anything.

Cheers
ped

• 3 weeks later...

From my SVT3-pro manual.... I'd assume the same applies with the older ones:

[quote]NOTE: When adjusting the tube gain control from
“10” to “0” rapidly, a low frequency hum as well as
muting of the output signal occur simultaneously. This
is due to shifting of the DC bias point of the tubes, and
is no cause for concern. Adjusting the control quickly
from “0” to “10” brings a moderate delay due to the
power supply capacitors charging.[/quote]

So no need to panic about that bit yet.

Mine had a low volume problem within a week of purchase, had to go to Panic for a service. I know they changed my preamp valves, I'm not sure what else they said was up with it though, my memory's crap!!

Edited by mike257