Why become a member? ×

More or less power per cab @ 4OHMs

waynepunkdude

[quote name='Wil' post='1205178' date='Apr 19 2011, 08:41 PM']The two 8ohm cabs will equal 4 ohms if they are both connected up, as such your amp will output 300 watts which will be split equally between the cabs. So, each cab gets 150 watts.[/quote]

That is awesome.

Soon I'll have two 200W cabs and each side of my amp runs @ 375 4 OHMs or 250W @ 8 OHMs so I was wondering whether to run one on each side or both on one side so going by what you say it'll be safer to run them both on one side.

Probably, although I doubt you'd do any harm connecting one to each channel. You'll probably only be giving each cab the full amount of power when the amp is running flat out, so as long as you turn down if you hear any nasty distortion, you'll be fine.

I think.

[quote name='Wil' post='1205194' date='Apr 19 2011, 08:54 PM']Probably, although I doubt you'd do any harm connecting one to each channel. You'll probably only be giving each cab the full amount of power when the amp is running flat out, so as long as you turn down if you hear any nasty distortion, you'll be fine.

I think.[/quote]

I do run one of them atm with no problem but running them both at 4OHMS sounds safer I have another 2 cabs for the other side anyway :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1205185' date='Apr 19 2011, 09:48 PM']...each side of my amp runs @ 375 4 OHMs or 250W @ 8 OHMs so I was wondering whether to run one on each side or both on one side...[/quote]
Good evening, waynepunkdude...
If I'm reading this correctly, you'll get 1 x 375 if you connect both cabs to one side only (4 ohm together...), but 2 x 250 if you connect one cab to each side (8 ohm each...). So, 375w or 500w, your call. The amp would perhaps be happier working balanced into 2 x 8 ohm, imho...
Of course, you could always add two more cabs, and get 2 x 375 (750w...)
Hope this helps.

[quote name='Dad3353' post='1205259' date='Apr 19 2011, 09:47 PM']Good evening, waynepunkdude...
If I'm reading this correctly, you'll get 1 x 375 if you connect both cabs to one side only (4 ohm together...), but 2 x 250 if you connect one cab to each side (8 ohm each...). So, 375w or 500w, your call. The amp would perhaps be happier working balanced into 2 x 8 ohm, imho...
Of course, you could always add two more cabs, and get 2 x 375 (750w...)
Hope this helps.[/quote]

According to the manual (attached) seems it's a little more powerful than I thought @ 4OHMS it'll be 210W each which is pretty much perfect.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1205422' date='Apr 20 2011, 12:53 AM']Yeah, the larger number will probably be peak power, the continuous is generally what people look at when they see the power rating of heads and cabs IIRC.

If you run both cabs through one side, it looks like they'll have 170w each. Running one from each side will give 205w each.[/quote]

Interesting.