Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Micro SVT

AsterL

[quote name='AsterL' post='1201755' date='Apr 16 2011, 12:35 PM']I'm looking to get one of these amps, Does anyone own/have played through one. Anything in comparison to its bigger brother?[/quote]

Received my Micro VR stack a few days ago. After being initially a [i]little [/i]underwhelmed with the sound I like it. Not as warm as an all-valve amp but it does sound like Ampeg and whatever Ampeg do to the bass sound is really where it's at for me.

It seems a shame that such a low-powered (200w) amp even needs a fan. It's not too loud but it's certainly there. I would imagine it's only ever really needed at loud volume.

I think the sealed cab contributes to it's Ampeg character. It's a good match. For the money you pay the Micro VR is a winner.

I just use it for noodling around the house and it fits the bill nicely.

Edited by markorbit

I had one of the cabs, and thought it was great. Bags of character and sound for such a little cab. I`ve always felt that 200 watts isn`t enough for me live, so am hoping Ampeg will sort a 350/400 watt version at 4 ohms. Put that with two of those little cabs - mm, mm, mmmmmmm.

Great little amp and it does the SVT sound, perfect for gigs with two 210AV's.
As with all speakers, until they're run in, they do sound quite harsh, but once there, the 210's really do the 810 vintage sound. I ran mine in for a couple of days with a low freq hum at moderate volume and they really smoothed out nicely.

When you say perfect for gigs, what type of gigs?

Are they pub/club type gigs, as stand-alone, or are they going through FOH pa?

And, what type of band?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I loved the sound of my little cab, and if two of these and the head is enough for a rock band with 2 gtrs, in pub gigs, I may start looking at these again.

I was generalizing there, I have gigged mine with small/medium pubs and no pa, rock band and it coped fine. We have a drummer that hits hard but only one guitar. There are many discussions on Talkbass.

Saying all this though, I have just gone ahead and bought an 810AV to go with my SVT as I have no problem with loading etc, in fact having always gigged until recently with a 410 cab I can safely say I will never ever go this 410 way again, 210's for small and 810 everywhere else.