Why become a member? ×

Sub £500 amp

JMM

Hi

I've recently been playing a few gigs and am looking to buy a decent amp, but I'm a bit unsure as to what to go for.

The only amp I've been using for the last 7 years has been a Roland Cube 30. I love the tone of it however I'm now at the point where I need to purchase something more powerful as we'd prefer to start using amps instead of a PA for our gigs.

The guitarist in my band has decided to buy a Fender amp that's rated at 40 watts, however it's a valve amp and so we've been told it's on par with a 200 watt solid state amp. I'm hoping for something that can produce a similar quality sound and the same volumes.

Is it worth going for a new or second hand amp? After looking through the for sale section, there seems to be some fairly big savings to be had but I'm not sure on how long an amp can last and whether it's worth paying the extra to get a new one?

Also what makes are good to go for and which should I avoid?

I do like the idea of getting a valve amp (and am just looking through the stickied thread). How do I tell when an amp has valves? I've seen some mention valve preamps but am unsure whether that means it's a full valve amp?

I'm currently playing an Ibanez active 5 string and our music is sort of rock/indie if that makes a difference to amp choice. I'm also looking to spend under £500.

Thanks in advance

Valve heads should say that they're valve. Amps that have valve pre-amps and solid state (i.e. not valve) power amps are usually called hybrids. An amp can have a valve pre-amp and power amp or just a valve pre-amp.

Depending on what you want, you're probably better off going 2nd hand. Amps are pretty durable in general and you shouldn't need to worry too much.

£500 is a bit limiting if you're going for a hybrid or valve amp including cab. There are options (Hartke do some cheapish hybrid heads for example, you could get quite a nice rig for that) but they're not so common. In general you'd be looking at almost £500 just for a head along the valve or hybrid lines, even 2nd hand.

I'd look at solid state amps if I was you, there's a lot more around and there's some great gear available. For guitar distortion, I'd always go valve. On bass I find it doesn't matter so much, I use a GK head with built in OD, it's all solid state but I think it sounds great.

If you can bump up your budget a little, there's some good gear around. Wooks is selling an Ampeg valve combo here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=130896"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=130896[/url] that'd be a good intro into the world of valves for not a lot of money (for what it is).

When you say "Amp", do you mean a head, combo or head & cab?
If you can get the extra £99 [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=131962"]this here[/url] is a bargain!

I have one & it'll do more than you're looking for just now & if you need more for the larger venues, then you can add one of [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=131117"]these.[/url]

Just to note, I play an Ibby also & my band has 2 guitarists. one thru a Vox AC30 (loud heavy thing) & the other thru a Fender valve combo (might be the same as you mention) & I have no trouble overpowering them with bass! :)

Edited by xgsjx