Why become a member? ×

What 5-String?

SeeJay

Hi guys and gals! I'm in the market for a 5-string and could use some advice. I've got a budget of upto £700. I play in a blues/rock covers band and my current squeeze is a Peavey Zodiac BXP which I've put Seymour Duncan pups in and generally tweeked! I play through a BG500 2x10 amp.

I've kind of got a thing for maple 'boards at the moment so I've come up with a shortlist of 4:

Ibanez SR505M - new out with a maple 'board
Lakland 55-01
G & L 2500
Sterling Ray35

Is there anything else I should be considering in this price bracket?
Cheers,
CJ

Assuming you want to buy new, there's not a lot of choice for maple boarded 5ers. 2nd hand opens up a lot more options, you'll possibly be able to pick up a Stingray 5 for that, Sandbergs, possibly Fender USAs (they're usually a little more) are both options too if you can find the lesser spotted maple variety for a good price.

In no particular order:

MM SUB5, it'll have to be used as it's not in production anymore (and you'll have a lot of cash left over). I *love* mine
MM Stingray5, used. I don't have one, but they're tasty. Yes, I do have a soft spot for Stingrays :)
G&L L2500. I have a Tribute series one and it's a tremendous bass.