Why become a member? ×

RE-learning Slap Bass

son of frog

So, for years i've been instinctively learning slap bass, and i never thought i had the right technique, (although there is no definite right) but i don't suck too bad... but now i've properly been shown the best way to play with the upward turned thumb,
Before i was playing down-thumb,

And i know if i want to get better at slap im going to need to change, but it sucks balls, I've spent all that time, wasted and now its like learning to slap all over again, but its got to be done,

So anyone have any good riffs or songs that will help me get better faster, Obviously the solo from "You can call me Al"
And also i've been relearning Smooth criminal.

but preferably others that use all the strings (4 in my case) and include pops and hammer-ons etc, I feel so inadequate at slap bass again all of a sudden though :)

Tom

Edited by son of frog

Practice slapping a note and then popping the octave or hammering on a note from an open string and then popping the octave. Try making up your own little riffs adding some muted notes in. That's how I started learning.

Also there isn't really a best technique, whatever is comfortable and sounds good is right. So if you are re-learning anyway make sure to try out a load of different techniques and find what is right for you :)

[quote name='hellothere' post='1193479' date='Apr 9 2011, 02:45 AM']Practice slapping a note and then popping the octave or hammering on a note from an open string and then popping the octave. Try making up your own little riffs adding some muted notes in. That's how I started learning.[/quote]

+1 octaves are a great place to start. Make sure that you do it with a 'nome too to keep your timekeeping up - there's nothing worse than a sloppy slapper :) . Get into percussive 'dead' notes too - they are fundamental to the slap style. Oh, and make sure that you've got THA ONE covered t all times!

Octaves are cool,but it's easy to fall in the trap of most slap players and get stuck there.
Try playing scales using different combinations of slaps and pops. You can separate the strings so you thumb the E and A and pluck the D and G,but you should also use your thumb on every string and pull every string too.

You don't necessarily need to point your thumb up,you can keep it level with the string-either way you will find that it is more accurate than playing thumb down,especially when thumping the higher strings.