Why become a member? ×

Lacquering

gary mac

I've now rubbed down the headstock to remove the Squier logo and drilled out the holes to accept proper size tuners.

My plan now, is to apply tinted lacquer and then clear.

My question is, do I need to remove the existing finish, which I think is polyurethane, from the neck or can I spray the lacquer straight over it, following a rub down to form a key?

The lacquer and decals aren't cheap so I'm trying to avoid costly errors.

As always all suggestions and pointers gratefully received.

Can I ask why you have to take it back to the wood? I thought old Fenders were coated in some kind of inert poly before spraying the lacquer - is it to do with the use of a clear rather than solid colour? I did spray the Halfords acrylic lacquers over polyurethane no bother, in fact it was easier getting a really flat finish with the poly there than on the stripped and re-sealed wood of the body.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1193293' date='Apr 8 2011, 09:00 PM']It's the difference between getting the job done and getting the job done right.[/quote]

Err, OK :) - what's the difference in terms of what you see afterwards then? I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely interested!

When removing the decal you will inevitably end up cutting through to the wood in key areas, if you ignore this and go ahead and apply more lacquer without fully prepping the area you will end up with uneven blotches and tide-marks in the finish not only because of how the wood reacts to different finishes but because all clear lacquers are not in fact clear but are idiosyncratically coloured.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1193397' date='Apr 8 2011, 11:15 PM']When removing the decal you will inevitably end up cutting through to the wood in key areas, if you ignore this and go ahead and apply more lacquer without fully prepping the area you will end up with uneven blotches and tide-marks in the finish not only because of how the wood reacts to different finishes but because all clear lacquers are not in fact clear but are idiosyncratically coloured.[/quote]

Ah right - ta! I'd not needed to remove the decal on mine as I was spraying a solid colour on the front, and the clear over blended fine with the rest. I wanted to check there wasn't going to be some horrendous peeling years down the line.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1193397' date='Apr 8 2011, 11:15 PM']When removing the decal you will inevitably end up cutting through to the wood in key areas, if you ignore this and go ahead and apply more lacquer without fully prepping the area you will end up with uneven blotches and tide-marks in the finish not only because of how the wood reacts to different finishes but because all clear lacquers are not in fact clear but are idiosyncratically coloured.[/quote]
Correctamundo....the man from Sheepshagger land is spot on.