Why become a member? ×

String Questions

hellothere

Now this is just an idea and I havn't really thought it through but there seems to be alot of questions asking for string reccomendations on here. And I started thinking maybe it would be a good idea to correlate all the main opinions on the most commonly used brans of strings, sort them into pros and cons and where the best place to buy them is then make a sticky with all that infomation in.

I don't see any downside to this except it would be hard to correlate all the data. Any ideas on how to go about collecting the opinions?

[quote name='hellothere' post='1189722' date='Apr 5 2011, 09:20 PM']Now this is just an idea and I havn't really thought it through but there seems to be alot of questions asking for string reccomendations on here. And I started thinking maybe it would be a good idea to correlate all the main opinions on the most commonly used brans of strings, sort them into pros and cons and where the best place to buy them is then make a sticky with all that infomation in.

I don't see any downside to this except it would be hard to correlate all the data. Any ideas on how to go about collecting the opinions?[/quote]
We've got this but it could certainly be enlarged:

[url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:buying:strings"]http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:buying:strings[/url]

You would need to sort a spread sheet out and trawl people’s opinions of important headings, but populating it would have to be done off line or it you could bore everyone and they would lose interest. Just reading some lately it is all down to personal taste and type of music played although that is not often asked. Indie or C & W Funk or Punk - Pick or finger style ?
It was recently suggested there are only three factories in the world making strings, Is that true?
I once wrote to a couple of companies suggesting they get their act together so purchasers could sort out if their strings would actually fit the customer's bass. Rotosound were quite dismissive and missed the point. I feel a lot of strings made have become very generic over the last ten years. Lengths have changed as has wrap length, lead in and lead out of the cores either ends. What I wanted them to state in picture form on the box or wallet was 3 things:-
Distance from ball end to useful saddle position
Then useful length of string from there to the wrap at the nut end
Distance from the last usable part at the nut to the taper that would actually wind on the tuner post

You could then confidently go into a music store with three dimensions from your bass and buy with confidence without persuading the guy to undo loads of packets. We would all be tempted to try new strings without wasting £30

Until we get past this you won't know if people use strings because thats all they can find that fit

Edited by deepbass5