Why become a member? ×

Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen

Hector

Hi all,

I've take a bit of interest in [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niels-Henning_%C3%98rsted_Pedersen"]"The Great Dane"[/url] recently, and thought I'd share the fruits of my research/experimentation. This is primarily to do with his RH technique.

Here are some vids for the uninitiated:

To start off, it's pretty clear that he has amazing RH facility, particularly using 3 fingers for some passages. However, he doesn't use 3 fingers all the time (check that 60s sessions video....), and it's often a matter of common sense/what is most comfortable for you as to when to apply this. Nice to have in your bag of tricks though. The beauty of the exercises given below is that they can be used for 2 finger players, just by playing these exercises with index and middle fingers only.

NHØP uses his fingers, when playing with 3, strictly ring-middle-index, except when crossing down a string, where he uses a rake (not a garden rake, he carries through with that same finger onto the string below). This can be seen in the following:

(Ok, so I know that he isn't always that strict, but to build three finger facility it's necessary until it becomes automatic)

The most difficult part of playing with 3 fingers is getting it to not sound like triplets, which is mostly to do with getting the attack on the ring finger as strong as index and middle. Here are a few exercises I've found around the web, and developed for my own purposes. I've been including them in my regular practice routine with some really good results!

1. Take a scale, any scale (this technique is easier on the A, D and G strings, so bear that in mind when starting out). Set the metronome at a lowish tempo (as low as you need to play this exercise cleanly, somewhere in the region 60-80bpm). Play the scale in 8th notes, with two notes per scale degree, up and down as many times as you need to feel comfortable. Remember to play r-m-i strictly, except for a "rake" downwards when crossing to a lower string (You can also try this without the rake if it's more natural for you, either is fine). Next, double the speed of your left hand, so you're playing one 8th note per scale degree. Next double RH speed, so you're playing 16ths, with 2 to each scale degree. Finally, double speed of left hand so you're doing playing the scale in 16ths. Try doing this for various different scales (e.g. moving by semitones through all major scales).

It's important to be able to get the notes to sound even, so going as slow as you need to go is vital. Do this exercise for a few days and then put the metronome up by 5bpm or so. Monster chops await the [i]patient[/i] soul!

2. Try playing open strings on the top 3 strings, playing A, D, G, G, D, A. You can either play this with a rake on the way down, or strict r-m-i pattern. If you're going strict r-m-i, which not try starting the pattern on a different finger each time?

3. Try playing 8ths on one string, but changing where the accent lies - this gives you control over how hard you are plucking the string with each finger, which is vital to get an even attack.

4. Try taking some varied rhythmic patterns on one string, and playing them with the three finger technique, mix it up with triplets.

5. Try alternating between the D and G open strings, playing permutations: you could play repetitions DGDG or DDGG or DDGD or DGGG. Keep strict r-m-i.

For all these exercises, keep your RH disciplined (i.e. r-m-i when you mean to, and rake when you mean to). These are obviously only a few ideas, and you're sure to come up with exercises of your own. My favourite is the first one (and it's rumoured to be something NHØP did and made his students do). For each of these exercises, it's important to build up (during the course of one practice session) to a tempo that is just outside your comfort zone. This will push on your limits until they eventually give way.

One thing to be careful of is not overworking your ring finger - since it's not as road-worn as the other two! A little bit a day is better than a ton once a week.

As an aside, I tend to pluck with my fingers closer to a traditional jazz pizz style (fingers at an angle to the string where I'm using the edge of my index finger), but it can be helpful for some to play this with a slightly more perpendicular angle of attack. Strokes for folks. My logic is that with three I can compromise some speed by playing less perpendicular to get better tone, but this compromise is outweighed by the gain in speed of using the third finger - faster playing with nicer tone!

Hope this is helpful for someone, do post/PM with questions or abuse. Preferably the former.

H

Edited by Hector

Thanks for the tips , Hector.

I was working on this exact same technique last night while trying to transcribe a Danny Thompson solo (though I think he only ever uses two fingers - b@stard) and was having trouble getting the rakes right and not playing triplets. I'll give your exercises a go and report back.....

[quote name='bassace' post='1190343' date='Apr 6 2011, 12:01 PM']Good stuff Hector. You in Oxford? Be good to meet and chat some time.[/quote]

I'm not until the 18th (revising for finals.....) but I'm always happy to meet and play/chat!

[quote name='gcordez' post='1190854' date='Apr 6 2011, 07:15 PM']Blimey, i'd better back to practise.[/quote]

+1. That vid from the 60s really upset me - 'NHOP. 15 years old.' Anyone wanna trade my bass for a tambourine?