Why become a member? ×

Phantom Powerering Microphones

flyfisher

I've been cobbling together a multi-track recording set up recently and am learning lots and having great fun. So far, I've only had access to dynamic mics (mainly SM58s and some lookalikes) and the phantom power switch on my mixer has remained firmly in the 'off' position.

Last weekend I treated myself to a half-decent large-diaphragm condenser mic (sE x1, bundled with an acoustic reflexion filter) so I'll now need to switch on the mixer phantom power, which only operates across all mic inputs.

My understanding is that if non-powered mics are connected using balanced (XLR) cables, then they'll come to no harm. Can anyone confirm that this is a universal rule, or should I check on a mic-by-mic basis?

Also, if the mixer also has 1/4-inch jack inputs, can I assume that there is no phantom power applied to these sockets?

I just know that, as soon as my back is turned, someone will plug in a mic using an XLR-to-jack cable and, having never used phantom power before, I'm just wondering how paranoid I need to be to prevent any accidental damage.

Definietly NOT an absolute rule.

Do not run phantom power into a ribbon mic, you will release the magic smoke and turn you ribbon mic into a very handsome door stop - there are some exceptions to this rule (Cascade Fatheads are supposed to cope, but I wouldnt put it to the test).

Some old electrets can get very grumpy about phantom power too.

In general dymanics wont spill your pint if you give them a dose of the old 48 right up 'em, but always check the nice manual that came with to be on the safe side - I know of one person who claims to have received said 48v off the body of a cheap 'n' nasty Chinese dynamic, very nice it was too I'm sure....

[quote name='51m0n' post='1187868' date='Apr 4 2011, 03:24 PM']Definietly NOT an absolute rule.

Do not run phantom power into a ribbon mic, you will release the magic smoke and turn you ribbon mic into a very handsome door stop - there are some exceptions to this rule (Cascade Fatheads are supposed to cope, but I wouldnt put it to the test).

Some old electrets can get very grumpy about phantom power too.

In general dymanics wont spill your pint if you give them a dose of the old 48 right up 'em, but always check the nice manual that came with to be on the safe side - I know of one person who claims to have received said 48v off the body of a cheap 'n' nasty Chinese dynamic, very nice it was too I'm sure....[/quote]

Ooh, glad to learn this.

I've got a 2nd input into my EA Doubler for a mic, but the phantom power switch is only a pushbutton. Waay too easy to get that wrong.

I'll now be mighty cautious. Thanks for the heads up.

:)

Thanks for the cautionary tale - though the manuals for our dynamics' are long gone. Guess I should be able to track down an SM58 manual easily enough though.

I think I'll have a little play around with a multimeter to find out what phantom power is doing to the mic connectors on my mixer.

Glad that I don't have an expensive collection of exotic microphones to worry about!

Edited by flyfisher