Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can a warped 60s Fender celluloid s/p be unwarped?

Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1186527' date='Apr 3 2011, 09:38 AM']Isn't it the UV rays that make it pliable rather than necessarily the heat? Which is why the sun works????[/quote]
I thought it was UV that affected (destroyed?) the chemical cross-linking in polymers, which leads to brittleness.

Given that it's a thermoplastic material then I'd say it was basically heat that's needed. Sandwiching between some substantial plate glass sounds like a good idea while applying a gentle overall heat. Perhaps using an oven on low heat - maybe with the door open?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1186761' date='Apr 3 2011, 02:48 PM']Pants. :)
Well if all is lost, why not try what I suggested earlier with the acetone fumes? You might still be able to coax it in the right directions with a rolling pin or something.[/quote]

Rolling pin is actually a really good idea! I'd whack the guard on a piece of greaseproof paper with a correct-sized template drawn on, give that a go with a warm pin, and maybe positioning a hairdryer above to get some gentle heat. I guess the acetone fumes could help but I'd be worried that by the time they'd penetrated enough to soften it, it would take ages to firm up again. Plus containing the fumes would be tricky - I could do it at work but I'm guessing you don't have large containment hoods at your disposal!

Thanks LawrenceH and Ou7shined but when you see it in situ its so far out in both dimensions (its shrunk very unevenly, in some places a few mm in others 0.5cm, possibly more, and has twisted) that I think it would be near impossible to even get it close to fitting. Sadly I have to accept this isn't a salvageable situation