Why become a member? ×

Bass Rig Power Distribution

s2classic

Brand new to this forum guys...so hi...

Just wondered if anyone has experience of rig power distribution or conditioners? I have been thinking about getting one as I'm currently gigging in Saudi Arabia and the compounds I play on have dubious mains voltages at best!! Furman seem to be the best but seem overly expensive for what they are! I've also looked at Samson and ART. ART seem to be quite good as they are reasonably priced and provide units up to 15 amps 1800 watts, which I reckon would be ample for what I'm running (Hartke 3500 with SWR Goliath 4X10, rack tuner and an X2 rack wireless) I would appreciate your thoughts/advice/input on this as I'm sure there must be a lot of players out there that use this type of system. Thanks!

The filtering built into your amp should remove 'dirty power' noise, a power conditioner won't help much over that. I think the actual problem is fluctuating voltage and such, which you need something pretty substantial to sort. Not really my area, but throwing up what I think I know, standing to be corrected. Basically, I've always been advised power conditioners do you no actual favours except being a sort of sacrificial item that can stop your amp being exploded.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1185453' date='Apr 2 2011, 12:28 AM']Basically, I've always been advised power conditioners do you no actual favours except being a sort of sacrificial item that can stop your amp being exploded.[/quote]
I always understood the same, but in terms of using them here. I've heard people say they're much more useful in places like the US etc. It's all a bit of an unexplored avenue for me really though. I have a surge protected 4-way >.>

+1... A UPS completely protects you from issues with the power supply... Not cheap though...

Mark

[quote name='TheBear' post='1193772' date='Apr 9 2011, 01:50 PM']my 2 eurocents :)
Why not looking to UPS systems ? (www.apc.com among others). They have surge protection & filtering builti-in.
No matter what, you have a clean source of power.[/quote]

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='markstuk' post='1194021' date='Apr 9 2011, 08:46 PM']+1... A UPS completely protects you from issues with the power supply... Not cheap though...

Mark[/quote]

Not cheap indeed when it comes to pricetag, it might become cheaper that replacing the complete rig though. It all comes to insurance.