Why become a member? ×

Tobias Bass

HeadLove

That's one of the Korean-built 'Pro' Tobias basses (or 'Toby' as they later became called). I had one of these. A lovely bass, some nice woods (the body wings on mine appeared to be solid birdseye maple) and neck-through construction, lovely playable neck, the instrument marred only by very average hardware, a not-particularly-great eq/preamp, and the world's most feeble pickups. Give it a good bridge, a decent preamp and some EMG-40P pickups and it'd be utterly brilliant.
Secondhand values tend to be 300-400 ish.
Bloody wish I hadn't sold mine.

Yup as Rich says. I think these models with the Maple wings and Wenge/Maple neckthru were superior to the later Toby Pro 2 with a bubinga body, where QC seemed to have dropped to get the price of the models down. Don't get me wrong, they weren't 'bad', but the models like the one above were very very well built for the money.

I'm not sure that the Bubinga models were specifically called Pro 2 btw, I seem to recall one website refering to them in order to distinguish them from the previous version. I've owned two and my Shuker basses are more than just a little bit modelled on them.