Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Fretless (1976)

Happy Jack

This is a 1976 example in 3TS and rosewood board, all original. I have a Fender hard case and ashtrays for it, and even a little of the case candy. Who knows? They may even be the originals. There's a proper certificate from Vintage & Rare of Denmark Street and everything. :lol:

More photos at [url="http://tinypic.com/a/2jhnm/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/2jhnm/3[/url]

It's a thing of beauty, sounds wonderful, plays really well, it's currently strung with nearly-new LaBella FL flatwounds and ... erm ... what else does one say?

Condition is exactly as shown in the photographs. If you look closely enough, you can find a small number of small marks in the nitro, but that's it. The neck is flawless. Everything works exactly as the maker intended, no issues whatsoever.

Weighs (with strap) just over 10 lbs.

[size=4][b]£1200[/b][/size]

PLEASE READ THIS BIT!

I'm having my first serious GAS attack in ages, and I need to raise somewhere north of £2000 in the next week or two. The building site that is [i]Chez Happy[/i], and the project manager that is Mrs. Happy, both mean that the funding is only going to come from selling some basses.

But which ones?

The answer seems to be ... most of them. So I'm listing most of my basses for sale, and if/when I raise enough cash to satisfy my GAS then I'll withdraw what remains.

DESCRIPTIONS

I don't do the whole describe-the-neck thing, and tell you what it feels like or how "fast" it is (does that help when you play a song by J.J. Cale?).

I don't tell you how low my action is. I don't slap or tap, so there's no point asking me. All my basses are set up for reasonably robust finger-style playing. If you want to know the sort of music I choose to play, check out the Band link in my sig.

If my description didn't mention a problem, then there isn't one (IMHO).

All that said, obviously you should always try before you buy if at all possible. If you can't do that yourself, then I'm perfectly happy for you to ask a knowledgeable friend to come round and check a bass out on your behalf.

OFFERS

All the basses I'm listing are excellent in their own way, or I wouldn't own them. None are clunkers that I'm desperate to get rid of.

BUT there's not a lot of cash out there and (given that I am not looking for trades at all) I am prepared to entertain offers ... in fact some offers can be quite entertaining. :)

DELIVERY

Each bass will be supplied with a hard case or a gig bag, as appropriate. Each bass can be tested in and/or collected from London, either in Chiswick W4 or the West End WC1.

I can post if I really have to, but I greatly prefer to do business face to face. If I'm posting, then I use my firm's courier - they are very reliable but they are NOT cheap.

No, I will not queue up at the Post Office with a bass. No, I will not use DelBoy's ultra-cheap delivery service. No, I will not wait in at home all day in case your chosen courier decides to put in an appearance. Bin there, dun that. :)

Edited by Happy Jack

I owned this before Jack and paid £1600 for it at V&R :) This is a bl**dy good price for a wonderful condition bass that I sold when I fell out with playing fretless and should have kept. I ended up having to buy another one, harumph. The sunburst finish is incredibly vivid and, allied to the great condition of the bass, makes me think the owner(s) prior to me also fell out of playing fretless and kept it in its case under the bed for years. You will not be disappointed with this 35 year old beauty.

BTW, I had Bass Doc make me a 70s correct tort guard but it came with (and I presume Jack still has) the original black scratchplate.

A year after I bought it, V&R has still not taken it down from their website, so you can see more pics there (and their ambitious FS price of £1,795 which I managed to get down by £200) [url="http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/our-catalogue/fender/electric-basses/item/6285"]http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/o...asses/item/6285[/url]

Edited by Clarky