Why become a member? ×

Carlsbro Marlin 6-300 PA mixer/amp

barkin

Hi all,

I've just acquired an old Carlsbro Marlin 6-300 PA mixer/amp - seems to work fine and will do us for vocals at small pub gigs etc.

But..I've no manual or user guide, and can't find anything on the net about it. I've also asked Carlsbro, with no luck.

I'm really just curious about a couple of things:

Speaker impedance, just so's I don't do anything silly with it.

There's a couple of sockets marked "slave" on the rear panel, next to the "preamp out" socket, and I've no idea what they're for.

Very grateful for any info, or pointers.

cheers.

[quote name='barkin' post='1175912' date='Mar 25 2011, 02:53 PM']Hi all,

I've just acquired an old Carlsbro Marlin 6-300 PA mixer/amp - seems to work fine and will do us for vocals at small pub gigs etc.

But..I've no manual or user guide, and can't find anything on the net about it. I've also asked Carlsbro, with no luck.

I'm really just curious about a couple of things:

Speaker impedance, just so's I don't do anything silly with it.

There's a couple of sockets marked "slave" on the rear panel, next to the "preamp out" socket, and I've no idea what they're for.

Very grateful for any info, or pointers.

cheers.[/quote]

As you say, it'll do for vocals at pub gigs perfectly well. I had a look around on the web too, and as you say there is nothing. I guess your best bet is to give it a shot with some 8 ohm cabs to be on the safe side. Slave sockets will be inputs or outputs to either use the power amp in the Carlsbro or to allow you to use additional power amps running from it. Perhaps one is an input and the other an output? They'll be line level in both cases, which means that if you start all the levels at zero you shouldn't risk anything by trial and erroring, say, putting an mp3 player into each and seeing whether you get an output from the Carlsbro. Alternatively, and this is what I'd do, ignore the slave sockets and just use it as cheap vocal PA as you suggest. It may well be happy with 4 ohm cabs. Is there no dire imprecation by the speaker outputs? If it'll throw a fit at less than 8 ohms there's a good chance that the sockets will be labelled to say so...

Sorry not to be more help. I'm really surprised that there isn't more info out there given how common these things were back in the day.

Cheers Watchman,

Since I posted that we've used it for a small pub gig, hooked up to a couple of 8ohm Yamaha cabs. There are no markings on it regarding speaker impedance, but it seems to have survived with no apparent damage done, and it was plenty loud enough for what we want it for - basically just a couple of vocal mics, possibly one on the kick-drum.

As you suggest, I think I'll ignore the slave outputs. If it gets to the stage where I need to consider them, it'll be time to look at a bigger/better PA anyhow.
I was curious as much as anything.

I was though, like you, rather surprised at the lack of info out there...

Thanks for your thoughts.

[quote name='barkin' post='1186697' date='Apr 3 2011, 01:18 PM']Cheers Watchman,

Since I posted that we've used it for a small pub gig, hooked up to a couple of 8ohm Yamaha cabs. There are no markings on it regarding speaker impedance, but it seems to have survived with no apparent damage done, and it was plenty loud enough for what we want it for - basically just a couple of vocal mics, possibly one on the kick-drum.

As you suggest, I think I'll ignore the slave outputs. If it gets to the stage where I need to consider them, it'll be time to look at a bigger/better PA anyhow.
I was curious as much as anything.

I was though, like you, rather surprised at the lack of info out there...

Thanks for your thoughts.[/quote]

I would think you are safe running 2 of 8ohm cabs with this unit = 4ohm load to the amp
both able to handle at least 150 watts each.