Why become a member? ×

[Sold] Dingwall Combustion (5 string fanned frets)

ThomBassmonkey

I hate doing this so soon after I got a bass, but it just isn't working out as I'd hoped. I'd been wanting to try one out for a long time but I think I've really found a soulmate with my Sandberg, it's almost completely killed off any GAS, anything else is a curiousity to be explored rather than a serious alternative instrument at the moment. This certainly lived up to expectations though, it plays beautifully and sounds great.

Only minor negatives about this is that there's a mark at the end of the headstock where it looks like the previous owner's knocked it against something and the B string doesn't quite have the growl of the other strings (no difference in volume and there's a magnetic B booster kit available from Sheldon for $20 shipped iirc that would fix that).

Pics (sorry about the "mood" lighting, I grabbed them with my phone when I was on the way out of the house last night):

I'm looking for £800 for this or the following trades (plus cash where needed):

Any Sandberg (I'd like a PM5 to contrast my JJ5 but any 5er)
Stingray 5
G&L L-2500
Fender J or P V
Bongo 5
SUB5
Status of some kind
I'll look at any 5ers, bonus points for Jazz or Musicman pickups, maple neck, lightweight, red/black/natural colour.
Could consider a cheap EUB (Stagg mainly)

I'm not interested in amps (I'm far too in love with GK stuff and I'm endorsed by them so don't need to pick stuff up 2nd hand), warwicks, adding money to my bass in a trade (only exception might be a Wal, depending on how much you'd want, but I expect it'd be a lot of cash difference to make up for a 5er), ibanez, FX, metal shaped stuff, anything with less than 5 or more than 6 strings, blue/green basses.

Stuff I could go either way on: white body, fretless, 6 strings, soapbar pickups (regardless of what's inside them), trades for multiple basses (they'd need to tick all the boxes individually though).

I'm not really fussy about the condition, so long as the neck and electrics work.

I'm [b]very[/b] open to offers though (of cash and basses), offers that involve cash my way are favourable though as like I said, my Sandberg's scratching all my bass related itches at the moment so I feel I only need a cheap backup. If you do offer me a cheaper bass with the intention of making up the rest with cash, please include your cash offer with the offer of the bass (if it's negotiable, say so). I've been strung along for ages before by people offering me a bass I'm interested in, only to finally include a cash offer and it be incredibly low, so I'd rather not do that again.

I'd rather not ship, I have nothing to send it in and I don't like using couriers anyway.

Anyone seriously interested is welcome to come try it out, I'm about a mile away from J25 on the M1.

Thanks folks!

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1175629' date='Mar 25 2011, 09:36 AM']I hate doing this so soon after I got a bass, but it just isn't working out as I'd hoped. I'd been wanting to try one out for a long time but I think I've really found a soulmate with my Sandberg, it's almost completely killed off any GAS, anything else is a curiousity to be explored rather than a serious alternative instrument at the moment. This certainly lived up to expectations though, it plays beautifully and sounds great.

Only minor negatives about this is that there's a mark at the end of the headstock where it looks like the previous owner's knocked it against something and the B string doesn't quite have the growl of the other strings (no difference in volume and there's a magnetic B booster kit available from Sheldon for $20 shipped iirc that would fix that).

Pics (sorry about the "mood" lighting, I grabbed them with my phone when I was on the way out of the house last night):

I'm looking for £850 for this or the following trades (plus cash where needed):

Any Sandberg (I'd like a PM5 to contrast my JJ5 but any 5er)
Stingray 5
G&L L-2500
Fender Jazz V
Bongo 5
SUB5
I'll look at any 5ers

I'm [b]very[/b] open to offers though, offers that involve cash my way are favourable though as like I said, my Sandberg's scratching all my bass related itches at the moment so I feel I only need a cheap backup. If you do offer me a cheaper bass with the intention of making up the rest with cash, please include your cash offer with the offer of the bass (if it's negotiable, say so). I've been strung along for ages before by people offering me a bass I'm interested in, only to finally include a cash offer and it be incredibly low, so I'd rather not do that again.

I'd rather not ship, I have nothing to send it in and I don't like using couriers anyway. I may be prepared if the buyer sorts out a courier, but I'd take no responsibility for any damage sustained in transit, so pick up is far more preferable.

Anyone seriously interested is welcome to come try it out, I'm about a mile away from J25 on the M1.

Thanks folks![/quote]

Interesting bass Thom, glad you like the Sandberg, you seem to have really bonded with that one mate! Anyway good luck with the sale, I'm not really in the market for a 5 er at the moment but this looks like a bargain to me.

Oh man, I've been wanting to get my hands on a Dingwall for ages...typically I've no funds to spare right now though. Beautiful bass!

I hear you on the Sandberg front, truly awesome basses, although I traded mine to afford a Clover which I believe will be of equal calibre. I miss the Sandberg though....definitely going to have to find another one soon :)

I know what you mean, I've wanted one since I first saw them, if I hadn't taken my Sandberg off Ash's hands first, this wouldn't be going anywhere. It'd make a grand backup bass, but while I've got another bass as my main player and a bit of cash locked up in this, it's the perfect time to try out other basses and see if there's anything else out there that grabs me like my Sandykins (haha, yeah, I went there).

I've had a few nice trade offers, nothing's been sorted yet though so this is very much still up for grabs.

A quick reminder, if you offer a trade with cash to go either way, please make it clear straight away. I don't want to waste anyone's time, or vice versa, by asking for information and lining up a trade then suddenly having money mentioned and it all instantly going down the pan. I don't really want to add cash to this so it's especially important if you're expecting cash from me as I'll likely say no unless it's something incredibly special or a really good deal. :)

I've also updated the first post a little with some more trade ideas and some of my preferences for basses, I'll look at anything though and won't be offended by any semi-realistic trade offers. :)

Bumpity boo.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Open minded on trades, there's a lot of stuff I fancy having a go with and I'm open to offers too. Shoot me a PM and I'll take a look at anything. I'm open towards more unusual stuff too, so long as it's within an hour or so's drive from me so I can give it a good going over. smile.gif

I've had some nice trade offers so far, but nothing's quite teased it out of my hands yet.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1178935' date='Mar 27 2011, 10:47 PM']Hey Zac

Haha, after I wouldn't let you steal it at the gig at least you're interested in a more legal method of getting it then. :)

Glad you liked it, good luck with your dad. :) Glad to see you're still using my old Brice, did you ever fit the EMGs?[/quote]
Well, I'm just saying it so I can get to it easier ;P

I never actually got round to it, I'm pretty sure they're still knocking about somewhere in my house :')

Still looking at mainly the list from my first post, but I am open to suggestions. There's plenty of stuff that I've not even thought about (a couple of Lightwave offers have piqued my interest for example, sadly only 4 strings though) so don't be afraid to ask. :)

Some new pics for your browsing! Less "moody" this time, but not quite as high quality (still taken on phone which likes natural light, it needed to use it's flash on these)

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

Could be interested in a trade for 2 cheaper basses as long as at least one was useful to me and the other/both of them could easily be sold on.

I'm not at all interested in 4 string basses so sorry to anyone thinking of offering me one. If someone offered me two cheaper basses and one of them was a 4 string that would sell easily (a Fender for example) then I'd consider it, but I need to have a 5+ string to use as a backup bass.

I have a potential trade lined up for this one next week, not 100% yet though so I'm still open to offers, especially anything involving cash my way.