Why become a member? ×

Fantastic bass resource -transcriptions, videos, interviews etc

Mike

Hi all,

I just wanted to share with you my favourite bass resource on the web, along with Janek Gwizdala's online lessons, [url="http://bassoridiculoso.blogspot.com/"]Basso Ridiculoso[/url].

This guy does loads of transcriptions of Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Clifford Brown, Bill Evans as well as basslines by people like Paul Chambers et al.

Not only that, but he analyses them and points out interesting harmonic stuff.

I'm not affiliated with this website in any way, it's just a fabulous resource - so much stuff I cannot keep up! It's a really nice gift to the bass community and deserves support.

[size=5][url="http://bassoridiculoso.blogspot.com/"]Website HERE[/url][/size]

I realise that some may think this is more a theory forum topic, but I disagree, I think a lot of people who will get loads out of this will not necessarily see it there, and anyway, it's not a theory site, it's about bassplaying!

I'm nowhere near being able to thoroughly understand and utilise that site, but enjoyed it very much anyway. And I found another transcription of [i]Autumn Leaves[/i], which I have been using as an exercise of late.

Thank you for the link!

EDIT: Since the issue of navigation has been mentioned below, I ought to mention that my comment re. understanding and utilisation refers to the musical transcription/phraseology etc.

Edited by Mr H

Thanks for the link!!! Every bit helps.

As far as the navigation goes...well, its a blog. Like 10 million other blogs.

You can use the tag cloud to pick just posts with transcriptions, there is also a reverse chronological list of every post, the 5 most popular posts are highlighted, and there are now sub-sections for the various transcriptions series (coltrane, bill evans and clifford brown). Scroll down the right hand side for all the navigation goodies.

I would say find a topic you like, and use the tag cloud to move around. I have tried to be diligent in tagging every article with relevant tags.

Thanks for the post! You can also leave me a message here or on my email from the site.