Why become a member? ×

Blue Rust

hellothere

Some of the frets on my one of my basses have really small bits of "blue rust" on the sides. Do I need to get the bass re-fretted or can I clean it off? It has been like that since I bought it so I think if I can clean it off it shouldn't come back as it hasn't got any worse in the time I've had it.

[quote name='hellothere' post='1174622' date='Mar 24 2011, 01:47 PM']Some of the frets on my one of my basses have really small bits of "blue rust" on the sides. Do I need to get the bass re-fretted or can I clean it off? It has been like that since I bought it so I think if I can clean it off it shouldn't come back as it hasn't got any worse in the time I've had it.[/quote]

Just clean it off - definately no need to change the frets.

It's just the nickel in the fretwire reacting with sweat which 'pools' at the point where the fretwire meets the fingerboard.

I usually give mine a rubdown with a duster after playing.

That "blue rust" is actually patina (oxidisation) from the brass in your frets. Have you seen the colour of the Statue of Liberty? It actually protects the metal from further corrosion. Should you get your frets re-fretted? It's probably a little drastic, just a clean up will do - unless they are so corroded that you feel the unevenness.

I've found that the best way to bring them back to life is to mask off the fretboard with masking tape and use metal polish (I use Autosol) to polish them up. Works a treat! :)

You only really need a re-fret if they are badly worn and have dirty great grooves in them.

Before
[attachment=75638:IMG_0610.JPG]

During
[attachment=75640:IMG_0616.JPG]

After
[attachment=75642:IMG_0621.JPG]

It's important to mask off very tight to the frets so that you don't get any of the polish in the grain of your fretboard.

Hope this helps.

I thought rust was oxidixation :)

And it is only on the side of the frets, where you can see them going into the fret-board. I'll give them a proper clean all over when I next change the strings. But for now should I just leave it or clean them with something? If I need to clean them what kind of cleaning soultion should I use?

[quote name='hellothere' post='1175462' date='Mar 25 2011, 12:24 AM']I thought rust was oxidixation :)

And it is only on the side of the frets, where you can see them going into the fret-board. I'll give them a proper clean all over when I next change the strings. But for now should I just leave it or clean them with something? If I need to clean them what kind of cleaning soultion should I use?[/quote]
Yep rust and patina are both forms of oxidisation. However rust keeps on eating into the metal while patina forms a protective barrier which halts the corrosion.

Clean it off for now and wipe the sweat off the neck after each gig and it'll never come back. :)