Why become a member? ×

Ibanez RB950

clauster

[quote name='clauster' post='1172699' date='Mar 22 2011, 10:28 PM']My god! What an awesome sound :) Actually, what an awesome range of sounds. I was worried that 27 year old pickups might be past their best, but jeez, they're hot with loads of punch in humbucker mode, but clear as a bell in single coil. My favourite is front HB, rear SC and slightly towards the front on the pan pot, tone fully open - deep and punchy bass but with just enough edge without being strident. I really want to do my idea of having the pickup switches as toggles so I can put in series mode - that's going to be incredibly hot.[/quote]

Why don't you rewire the neck pup straight in as a humbucker, use one switch to put the bridge pup parallel/serial & the other to do serial/parallel mode?

That would seem to suit you.

G.

• 11 years later...
On 19/03/2011 at 20:19, clauster said:

I've been on an urgent lookout for an inexpensive bass the last couple of days (suddenly found myself bassless with a gig in three weeks time).

The second shop I visited today was a tiny second hand guitar shop - maybe 15 guitars top, and half a dozen amps.

The basses were at the back of the rack. Nice refinished 70s Jazz, but way over my immediate price range by many hundreds of pounds. Behind that I spotted an 80's Ibanez, had a look at the headstock - Roadstar II. I remember them from guitar mags back in the mid-80s. Checked the price - comfortably within budget. Asked to have a look at it. Grubby as hell, but seems to be all original. Checked the neckplate - made in Japan. At the price it was up for, I wasn't expecting to see that. Long scratch/crack in the lacquer on the back but no signs of it going as deep as the wood. Quick, quiet play through a guitar amp just to check everything works - yep, it makes noise. Neck seems fine, comfortable, one fret (fifth) buzzes a bit, but it's about 25 years old and obviously not been looked after in a while. A fret dress won;t put me over budget.

5 Minutes later and for the first time in my life I own a bass made by Ibanez, even though, beyind the range I haven't a clue what it is.

Happy, happy, joy, joy http://basschat.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/%3C#EMO_DIR%23%3E/biggrin.png

Nice story, even now some 11 years later. 🙂 Do you still have it? I bought mine back in 1985 for approx 370 pounds (4500 SEK) and it mostly hangs on the wall, but every now and then I bring it to the rehearsals.