Why become a member? ×

FS/FT: '72/73 Rickenbacker 4001 checkerboard £2100 ovno

robocorpse

With heavy heart...
1972 4001, dated April '73 (explanation follows).
This is one of the last ever proper 4001s that had the complete compliment of checkerboard binding, toaster pickup, plexi TRC and full width inlays before Rickenbacker started butchering them in the cost-curring redesign era. The cool bit is that it has [b]full width[/b] "mother of toilet-seat" in the full width slots as they had run out of the crushed glass by this point but still had a few leftover 1972 bodies routed for full width inlays, this makes these examples [b]extremely[/b] scarce as they are the last of the 1972 production run being used up in early '73 in readiness for the narrow inlay/plain binding era.

It is in good overall condition, and has the original case which is also an early 70s leftover as it has the slightly thinner catches and lining, the case is worth around £300 on its own to hardcore RIC collectors.
The bass has no breaks, no fingerboard problems and no neck-wing joint issues.
It loves roundwounds, and has had them on for at least the last 15 years with no ill effects.
The binding is intact and still strong, no rot or glue fade.
Frets in good shape, still enough meat to keep going for a good while.
All hardware original except tuners and p/up switch.
No bridge lift, no buckling, or big chunks out of the finish.

A few minor considerations:
Pickup switch replaced, and needs replacing again as its getting a bit loose.
Tuners replaced with good reliable Schallers some time in the 1980s (the original stripey back Grovers fell apart as usual, load of old crap!)
Minor routing under bridge pup, when I got this, it had a DiMarzio installed, but the owner had kindly left the original pickup in the case, so I refitted it. Hole is invisible unless you take the pickup plate off.
Damper missing (frankly, who cares?)
2 holes where a thumbrest was fitted in the dim and distant past.

This is basically a leftover 1972 bass that ended up with a '73 plate and non-glass full-width markers.
It is a total MANS bass for MANLY players, and doesn't like being "tickled" by gentle, low action afficionados, it responds better the harder you play it and growls like a pitbull. I kept hold of it for a Motorhead tribute band I was going to do, if you are on the Lemmy tip, this is possibly the best original Rick you could want for the job. A couple of people including Cetera played this at the Surrey Bass Bash and commented on this, drooled a lot then ran away before they got GAS...

I have been collecting Ricks for the last 25 years, and I am down to my last 3, this was one of the "never sell" basses but I am having a cash crisis and selling off a lot of my stuff.
In light of the few little niggles and the fact I really don't want to sell this unless I absolutely have to, I am looking for [s]2300[/s] 2100 ovno.

[attachment=75021:PICTA_7925__Large_.jpg] - [attachment=75022:PICTA_7928__Large_.jpg]

I have added some more pics further down the thread.

Edited by robocorpse

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...

BUMP. Might consider p/x plus cash my way for any of the following:

Status Graphite bass (S2, Stealth, Empathy or S4000)
USA Jackson neck-thru bass
Charvel Japan (small logo) 3B bass (neck-thru)
Musicman Stingray
Musicman Big Al
USA Jackson guitar with Floyd
Charvel Model 5, Model 5A or Model 6 superstrat (1987-88, Floyd version, not Kahler)
Charvel strat-head single pickup (current "hot rod" series, rosewood neck)
Rackmounted power amp, around 200 watts mono or stereo.

Edited by robocorpse

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The Checkerboard edging on these has always been my favorite purfling; never seen one in the flesh, just pix when they came out (International Musician or Beat Instrumental... can't remember which). I love the look of this bass. Got to be worth every penny.
Best of luck

• 2 weeks later...

More pics for ya...

[attachment=127921:PICTA 7929 (Large).jpg] - [attachment=127922:PICTA 7930 (Large).jpg] - [attachment=127923:PICTA 7931 (Large).jpg] - [attachment=127924:PICTA 7932 (Large).jpg] - [attachment=127925:PICTA 7934 (Large).jpg] - [attachment=127926:PICTA 7935 (Large).jpg]

• 1 month later...