Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM 410T/H

davideleira

Hi,

I have a Ashdown MAG 300 and a MAG 210, and I need a 410. I love Ashdown, and I saw in a portuguese shop selling the Ashdown ABM for 450 euros, including a good speaker cable Klotz (with a jack macho neutrik). All new! It's a good price, I think, and if I have problems, it's all easy, because I live near.

I know that are some good prices of this cab for sale in UK, but they don't send to Portugal and the shipping is too expensive and don't have any guaranty. In Portugal, I don't saw any ABM's cabs used ... (and the ones that were for sale, was for 350/370)

Is this the best option? What do you think about this cab?

T is tweeter and H is horn right? What's best?

Best regards,
Davide Leira

Edited by davideleira

Well, I don't slap very much. I have used one time a hartke 410, the volume was perfect, but I don't like the sound with the hartke, so I think ABM 410. Very people says that it's a very good cab, plenty of volume, not muddy, with good low end too, everything. I think that the 410 it's the better option. 2 210 maybe were good, but 410 + 210 ashdown will be perfect, I think.

Edited by davideleira

[quote name='davideleira' post='1164706' date='Mar 16 2011, 05:53 PM']210 maybe were good, but 410 + 210 ashdown will be perfect, I think.[/quote]
2 2x10s stacked vertically would have a better dispersion than the 2x10 & 4x10 (cover more of the audience better).

410 and 210 - More speakers, more volume, a little more low end, and it's perfect to put in the rehearsal room (and the 210 at home), and other occasions. When I need all the power (300w), a wall 6x10 is perfect. Unfortunately, only my MAG 210 don't have enough power for a VEEEEEEEERY loud band. I try to solve this problem, but the drummer is too loud and the place isn't favorable.

[quote name='davideleira' post='1164946' date='Mar 16 2011, 08:29 PM']Really? I think that was the inverse, because I saw ABM 410H more cheaper than ABM 410T, but the shop that is selling the ABM, it's T. T - Tweeter, H - Horn. And I think that ABM 410H is made in China too. (all new!)[/quote]

Horn is often used to describe tweeters too, the larger speakers are usually woofers.

I've just had a look on Google and they seem to be around the same price. It's possible one's a newer model or something, I don't really know Ashdown gear. I was thinking of the MAGs though with the cheaper stuff, so apologies for that. :)

xgsjx was talking about horizontal dispersion. Someone like Bill is far better to comment on this, but basically if you have two speakers next to each other, the sound waves will cancel each other out to an extent (at least I think that's the cause) and you'll have a narrower signal horizontally. A (square) 4x10 will be louder than a single 2x10 but if the audience is spread out around your amp and you don't have PA support, it'll be more directional. Stacking two 2x10s vertically will also be taller than a 4x10 and 2x10 horizontally, meaning that it'll be closer to your ears and you'll get better definition from it.

I use 4x10s and I can't honestly say it's ever been a problem though, so I wouldn't worry about it.

The other thing to be mindful of is if you're using two cabs with different wattage ratings (which if you have two cabs from the same model but with different speaker numbers, you probably will be), the power from your head will be split equally between them. If you have a 1000w (number picked for ease :) ) head, both of your cabs will be taking 5000w each. Again, it'll probably never cause a problem, but if you're pushing your amp bear in mind that one of your cabs will be splitting the power between two speakers (meaning up to 250w each with a 1k head) while the other splits it between four (125w), essentially meaning that your 2x10 will be always be worked a lot harder.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1165096' date='Mar 16 2011, 10:36 PM']Horn is often used to describe tweeters too, the larger speakers are usually woofers.

I've just had a look on Google and they seem to be around the same price. It's possible one's a newer model or something, I don't really know Ashdown gear. I was thinking of the MAGs though with the cheaper stuff, so apologies for that. :)

xgsjx was talking about horizontal dispersion. Someone like Bill is far better to comment on this, but basically if you have two speakers next to each other, the sound waves will cancel each other out to an extent (at least I think that's the cause) and you'll have a narrower signal horizontally. A (square) 4x10 will be louder than a single 2x10 but if the audience is spread out around your amp and you don't have PA support, it'll be more directional. Stacking two 2x10s vertically will also be taller than a 4x10 and 2x10 horizontally, meaning that it'll be closer to your ears and you'll get better definition from it.

I use 4x10s and I can't honestly say it's ever been a problem though, so I wouldn't worry about it.

The other thing to be mindful of is if you're using two cabs with different wattage ratings (which if you have two cabs from the same model but with different speaker numbers, you probably will be), the power from your head will be split equally between them. If you have a 1000w (number picked for ease :) ) head, both of your cabs will be taking 5000w each. Again, it'll probably never cause a problem, but if you're pushing your amp bear in mind that one of your cabs will be splitting the power between two speakers (meaning up to 250w each with a 1k head) while the other splits it between four (125w), essentially meaning that your 2x10 will be always be worked a lot harder.[/quote]

I understand. And I know that 2 210 are taller and that it'll be closer to my ears, but we use always PA and with a 410 I'll get plenty volume, so that isn't a problem. And if we don't use, I think that the 410 and 210 do the work very good, like the 2 210.

Best option is ...? ABM 410 + MAG 210 or ABM 210 + MAG 210? I'm a little confused now, and the ABM 210 is cheaper, so that's good... But the ABM 410 will do the trick no? Beside, I want to put one cab at the rehearsel room and other home, and I need more volume than my MAG 210 alone, with my band.

Well, if I get a new cab, the 210 will be used only home/little things, and the 410 for things with my band, and when I want more power, I put the two working, and I'll not need to work harder. If I get the 2 210, maybe the ABM 210 doesn't do the work like the 410? And then, I'll need to leave the 2 210 in the rehearsel room, because I don't want to transport every rehearsels 2 cabs...

Sorry about my bad english, if you don't understand

[quote name='davideleira' post='1165140' date='Mar 16 2011, 11:22 PM']I understand. And I know that 2 210 are taller and that it'll be closer to my ears, but we use always PA and with a 410 I'll get plenty volume, so that isn't a problem. And if we don't use, I think that the 410 and 210 do the work very good, like the 2 210.

Best option is ...? ABM 410 + MAG 210 or ABM 210 + MAG 210? I'm a little confused now, and the ABM 210 is cheaper, so that's good... But the ABM 410 will do the trick no? Beside, I want to put one cab at the rehearsel room and other home, and I need more volume than my MAG 210 alone, with my band.

Well, if I get a new cab, the 210 will be used only home/little things, and the 410 for things with my band, and when I want more power, I put the two working, and I'll not need to work harder. If I get the 2 210, maybe the ABM 210 doesn't do the work like the 410? And then, I'll need to leave the 2 210 in the rehearsel room, because I don't want to transport every rehearsels 2 cabs...

Sorry about my bad english, if you don't understand[/quote]

An ABM410 should be fine. It's unlikely you'll ever need louder. If possible, you should try and match the cabs, so one ABM210 and one MAG210 wouldn't be as good as two ABM210s or two MAG210s.

There's nothing wrong with using a 410 and a 210, you shouldn't blow anything up, you just need to remember that the speakers in the 210 will be taking more power if you use them all at once.

If you use two cabs, you will probably only need one for rehearsals (unless you practice very loud), so you will probably only need to take 1.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1169303' date='Mar 20 2011, 11:00 AM']An ABM410 should be fine. It's unlikely you'll ever need louder. If possible, you should try and match the cabs, so one ABM210 and one MAG210 wouldn't be as good as two ABM210s or two MAG210s.

There's nothing wrong with using a 410 and a 210, you shouldn't blow anything up, you just need to remember that the speakers in the 210 will be taking more power if you use them all at once.

If you use two cabs, you will probably only need one for rehearsals (unless you practice very loud), so you will probably only need to take 1.[/quote]

I understand... maybe I should go to the ABM 410, but I'll try to test them (something almost impossible, where I live)

I used to have an ABM410 and it was a perfectly good cab. I only got rid of it as it was a bit bulky and heavy but would happily recommend one if you really want a 4x10. Personally I'm inclined to agree with the multiple 2x10 option as it's more flexible and stacked they give better dispersion.

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1170154' date='Mar 20 2011, 10:27 PM']I used to have an ABM410 and it was a perfectly good cab. I only got rid of it as it was a bit bulky and heavy but would happily recommend one if you really want a 4x10. Personally I'm inclined to agree with the multiple 2x10 option as it's more flexible and stacked they give better dispersion.[/quote]

Thanks.
Maybe I'll go to the 410.

Hi.

I've talked with a friends of a portuguese chat, and here is me question:

Well, I have a 300w amp 4ohm, and a 2x10 200w 8ohm. I think that it is perfect. But if I buy an ABM 410 (650w), and I put the 2x10 + 4x10 (850w) and my 300w amp, is there any problem? Like.. the amp or speakers farting/frying?

I think that it depends about the quality, sensitivity and other factors...

Your amp puts out 300w at 4 ohm (probably @ 180x at 8 ohm) your 2x10 will accept upto 200w & on it's own will draw upto 180w from your current amp.
The 4x10 will do the same, (it will accept upto 650w, but will get 180w from your current amp).
If you plug both cabs into your amp they will get a maximum of 150w each (2 8 ohm loads make a 4 ohm load) & therefore the amp will put out the max 300w if needed. This being 150w per cab.
There's little chance of them farting/frying, but as with any rig, keep your ears open.

Like you're last comment says, "it depends about the quality, sensitivity and other factors..." & don't get watts confused with how loud your rig can go, they don't directly equate.

Edited by xgsjx