Why become a member? ×

SWR Basic black help

Bucket Head

Might be a long shot since the sell-out but you could try emailing SWR to find out if that serial no. is for a US or European model. I do find it hard to believe that an amp that old could be in this country and not be a 230V model, unless someone immigrated with it and then left it in their attic for years.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1162989' date='Mar 15 2011, 12:52 PM']Might be a long shot since the sell-out but you could try emailing SWR to find out if that serial no. is for a US or European model. I do find it hard to believe that an amp that old could be in this country and not be a 230V model, unless someone immigrated with it and then left it in their attic for years.[/quote]

It might explain the price it was sold for though...

[quote name='icastle' post='1163143' date='Mar 15 2011, 02:30 PM']It might explain the price it was sold for though...[/quote]

yea ill try emailing them i see what u mean, the guy i bought it from was a house clearance guy and had no idea what it was he maybe have even had a power supply but i unfprtunatly did not ask :) but yea ill try emailing them i guess they wont mind if worst comes to worst i can just use my transformer from my work and change the input so i can plug it in and hope its good :)

does anyone know if this is a good sounding amp?

[quote name='Bucket Head' post='1163174' date='Mar 15 2011, 02:53 PM']yea ill try emailing them i see what u mean, the guy i bought it from was a house clearance guy and had no idea what it was he maybe have even had a power supply but i unfprtunatly did not ask :lol: but yea ill try emailing them i guess they wont mind if worst comes to worst i can just use my transformer from my work and change the input so i can plug it in and hope its good :)[/quote]

If you have a 110V transformer available then plug the amp in and see if it works.
If it works then it's a 110V model.

If it doesn't then it's either a 240V model or dead :)

[quote name='Bucket Head' post='1163174' date='Mar 15 2011, 02:53 PM']does anyone know if this is a good sounding amp?[/quote]

I never really got on with mine. The 'Aural Enhancer' didn't really do anything, and although the tone was always fine, I found it to be a tad woolly (mostly played a Stingray 2EQ through it)

There were some differences to yours - mine did not have the SWR logo on the centre of the speaker, and the model was spelt 'Bassic Black' IIRC