Why become a member? ×

Replacement necks

Youngatheart

[quote name='Youngatheart' post='132579' date='Feb 2 2008, 02:57 PM']Hi All! Hopefully a staight forward question. Are there any pitfalls or problems I should watch out for in replacing the neck in a Precision with a Jazz neck?

Also any suggestions as to where to get a replacement neck from? I'm looking for a maple fret board.[/quote]

Need a little more info here :) Is it a Fender body, and do you want to replace the neck with a Fender neck, or a Fender copy neck?

Hamster

With the sparse bit of info here I'd say that on the whole Ps and Js are intererchangeable... but beware there are exceptions. If you don't mind putting teh "wrong" neck on it will serve the same purpose but will look odd to them that knows - hell it gives you something to talk about tho. If you're getting a replacement neck, to save a bit of hassle, it's often better to get an unused one as you are then able to drill holes exactly where you want them not where the last guy did.

If this work is to be done on an expensive all original axe then ignore all of the above. ;)

If none of this makes sense excuse me coz I been putting the final coats of lacquer on my project bass and I definitely feeling the effect of the fumes :) :brow: :huh: :brow: ;)

I fitted an Allparts jazz neck to an Encore precision body with absolutely no problems, its got a tighter neck join then a LOT of 'vintage' fenders I've seen, and even my Lakkie Skyline. The Encore body was from an era when their basses were a lot more fender-like, as opposed to the 7/8th sized rubbish they sell now.

[topic="5336"]Encore Project[/topic]

Si

Well it don't get much cheaper than [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bass-Guitar-Neck-Maple-Maple-Vintage-Tint-Finish_W0QQitemZ330207841977QQihZ014QQcategoryZ41423QQcmdZViewItem"]this[/url]. I got one of their rosewood satin jobs just before xmas for £8 just to see what you get and was pleasantly surprised really - a true neck with a working truss rod. I defretted it before actually playing it so can't comment on the fretting other than they were a bugger to get out.
If you'd prefer a licenced product search for worldwide results. They are way cheaper in the states than they are here but watch out for shipping costs.

Edited by Ou7shined