Why become a member? ×

Charity Gigs

Slipperydick

Played at a fair few charity gigs in my time, usually for free, occasionally for expenses which have been paid back to the charity.

Just a thought, but is anybody bothered what the charity actually is before they accept ? And have you ever wondered whether all of the money, or just some of it is going to the charity.

Did one in a pub a while ago, the normall quiet rural pub was packed out, after 3 sets, each one well over an hour, the landlord still cahrged us for a drink even though his takings must have increased tenfold for the night. So where do you draw the line and start to feel exploited ?

Seems to me that in a lot of cases, the pub makes more than the charity.

Edited by Slipperydick

My originals band [url="http://www.facebook.com/millionairesbymorning"]Millionaires by Morning[/url] does a few charity gigs, we've had to turn a few down though. As selfish as it is, the coverage that a charity gig can provide for us does play a factor, but we all enjoy playing & if it's local and we're all free then we'll more than likely say yes. Paid gigs are a priority though. We headlined a charity event last week for Suffolk Connexions (a council based youth organisation) with all the profits going to 4YP (Suffolk Young People's Health Project), we've had a dialogue with the council regarding the event for a while now & they paid for all our none PAT tested gear to be tested prior to the event & provided food & drink for us too, we were only out of pocket on petrol which was fairly negligible.

I can't speak for the other members of the band, but the charity involved is important to me. I feel I have a duty to know about the charity & what they're about, as I think having my name attached to them is a form of advocacy on my part. I've volunteered some of my time to the projects involved in last weeks gig, as the work they are doing means allot to me.

If I felt a venue was profiting from a charity event more than a charity was I think I'd be quite vocal in my objections to it and I doubt we'd be back to play again.

In your position I'd be asking if it was the pub who were behind the event? If they are simply a hired venue, it can't really be expected of them to dip into their profits (even if they are up as a result of the event). Whereas if they are organising the event I'd be more worried they'd be exploiting the charity than the bands.

I've done lots of gigs for charity events for nothing at all or for expenses.

With a band that no longer exists, one we didn't do was at a local Conservative Club. They phoned and asked do you want to do a gig for charity? Our singer took the call and asked which charity. The charity was the Conservative Club. No, he said, we'll play for £250. Some of us, me included, weren't happy about playing the Conservative Club at all, even for money, but the gig had been booked so we reluctantly agreed to honour it for the aforesaid £250.

A couple of weeks before the gig date, the singer phoned the Conservative Club to check the booking. He asked if all was still on and was told yes as long as they didn't manage to find another band in the meantime who would do it for nothing or at least cheaper. At that point they were told to stick it. We haven't heard from them since.