Why become a member? ×

Front Ported + Rear Ported Cabinets

chrismuzz

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1155872' date='Mar 9 2011, 04:25 PM']I've been toying with the idea of adding another cab ontop of my Markbass STD 104 HF, possibly the rear ported 104.. but I've heard it's not advised to combine front and rear ports. Any thoughts?[/quote]Port location doesn't matter unless the two ports in question are a half-wavelength apart. The shortest wavelength radiated by a port is in the vicinity of fifteen feet long, the rest of the math I'll leave to you.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1155996' date='Mar 9 2011, 05:31 PM']Rear ports can be a problem on small stages. If there isn't enough room to leave a large enough gap behind the cabs your sound will suffer.[/quote]The required gap tends to be no more than two inches, so I wouldn't base a buy on that fact.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='1156124' date='Mar 10 2011, 01:30 AM']....The required gap tends to be no more than two inches, so I wouldn't base a buy on that fact....[/quote]
OK, that's good to know. I thought it was nearer 12".

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' post='1156230' date='Mar 10 2011, 03:51 AM']OK, that's good to know. I thought it was nearer 12".[/quote]
Not hardly. In fact, if the cab is a bit too close to the wall the space between the wall and cab becomes, in effect, part of the cab, and the low end is further extended. That allows you to back off a bit on the low EQ, giving more headroom out of both the amp and speakers.
In theory the best port location is down-firing, the cab on feet of specific height. It's possible to make the space between the cab and floor act as an extension of the cab, allowing the cab to be made smaller. But that removes the option of tilting the cab back to better hear the mids.