Why become a member? ×

ABM extension cab...

CrackityJones

Hi.
I'm using an Ashdown ABM 300w head and an SWR Basic 2-way 15" cab. Can I use the 12" speaker from a Warwick CL combo as an extension speaker, and if so, does it connect via the "out" jack from the SWR cab, or the speaker output jack next to the speakon that I'm already using on the amp? (In other words, using both speaker outputs from the back of the amp). I'll be using a Female to female jack adapter to attach the jack lead to the Warwick.

Thanks
CJ.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1155464' date='Mar 9 2011, 03:42 PM']Would it not be more efficient to slave the combo? If the ashdown has a pre-amp output or effects send or insert point, you could send this to a power amp input on the warwick.[/quote]

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
ABM amp has effects send and return and a DI out. Do you mean use the instrument input on the Warwick?

My understanding is that the OP wants to unplug the Warwick speaker from the amp and use it as a second speaker cabinet along with his SWR cab.

In theory this should work fine as long as the impedances remain at or above 4-ohms. What we don't know is eother the impedance of the SWR cab or the impedance of the driver in the Warwick combo. If they are both 8-ohms then it will technically work. What it will sound like is a different issue.

Yeh the OP sounds like he wants to just use the speaker from the warwick as an extension. I was just suggesting that it might be more efficient for each cab to have it's own power amp, given that he's going to be carrying around the warwick power amp anyway.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1156436' date='Mar 10 2011, 11:50 AM']Yeh the OP sounds like he wants to just use the speaker from the warwick as an extension. I was just suggesting that it might be more efficient for each cab to have it's own power amp, given that he's going to be carrying around the warwick power amp anyway.[/quote]

Yes, it's true- original idea was to just use the speaker as extension, which to my inexperienced mind seemed straightforward enough. But flicking through a few topics here made me realise how easy it is to make fatal mistakes!