Why become a member? ×

First Gig - Cripes

BassBomber414

Well the car is packed and it's only 1600, I've spent a couple of hours in practice this morning and this is it folks... our first gig of any sort.

Just a little private club one of the band is connected to .

A small freebie gig of about an hour to see how we do 'live' before we try a full set in the wide world.

So why am I so nervous ?

[quote name='BassBomber414' post='132011' date='Feb 1 2008, 04:08 PM']Well the car is packed and it's only 1600, I've spent a couple of hours in practice this morning and this is it folks... our first gig of any sort.

Just a little private club one of the band is connected to .

A small freebie gig of about an hour to see how we do 'live' before we try a full set in the wide world.

So why am I so nervous ?[/quote]

Nervous is good!

As soon as you start playing the nerves will turn to excitement, then a great relaxed feeling afterwards.

Have a great one. Playing music is better than sex.

Thanks for the words of encouragment.

Well our first gig went reasonably well , a few mistakes which i thought we played through pretty well.

Wasn't nervous once we started and we got another booking out of it , so it couldn't have been too bad.This was our short set -

WAITING FOR THE BUS - ZZ TOP
JESUS JUST LEFT CHICHAGO - ZZ TOP

TATTOOED LADY - GALLAGHER

IM A MOVER - FREE
FIRE AND WATER - FREE
RIDING ON A PONY - FREE
ALL RIGHT NOW- FREE

BADGE - CREAM
DESERTED CITIES OF THE HEART - CREAM
CROSSROADS - CREAM
WHITE ROOM - CREAM

Out of that lot only one 'bombed' and that was All Right Now - never liked it anyway - does not fit in well with the rest of the set.

Glad it went well... if you're anything like me you'll never be 100% happy with it no matter how well it goes :huh:

Main thing is you've been there and done it, bring on the next gig ;)

BTW - Guitarist ask me learn Tattooed Lady this week for my trio so looking forward to giving that a try :)

Edited by jwbassman

Thanks Jw Bassman ,

I've tried playing Tattoed all ways and I found the way that suits us and sounds best , is to to play a very very even,smooth bassy tone with a plectrum providing just a little attack,but making minimal movement, just drive it along nice 'n smooth underneath at eight notes to the bar.I give a little emphasis on the changes and subdue it 1 notch during the guitar solos.

You get a chance to shine in the chorus which is actually simple to play but the timing is quite critical, guitar bass and drums have to be right on the money.

Nail it and it sounds brilliant , anything short will sound a real shambles. You'll see!

Good luck with it , it wasn't one of my favourites at first but it's grown on me.

[quote name='jwbassman' date='Feb 2 2008, 12:12 AM' post='132337']
I'm sure it'll be fine - hopefully get to have a proper look over it on Sunday...

One of my favourite tracks we play is another Rory Gallagher - For The Last Time, so simple but just brilliant, do you know it?

No I don't know it, but I'll mention it to our guitarist , although he's a fuzz nutted kid he's a bit of a Rory fan and will no doubt know it.